Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So i'm quite interested in being a trader. Unfortunately at GCSE I only got 2A*'s 4B's and 4C's (one of the C's was maths). At the time I just didn't try and didn't care much about school. However that attitude has definitely changed now.

I attained ABB at A level (Theology, History, Business Studies) and I study philosophy and politics. I plan to do an MBA at another Russell Group university and im confident I'll obtain a 2:1.

Will my C in maths prevent me from being a trader? Or do firms not care too much about GCSE's? Also, I can assure you all I'm not horrific at maths! I just simply had a really bad attitude at the time

ReputationRep:
    Let's manage some expectations here - the Russell Group is meaningless for MBAs, and you won't get a place on a decent one without at least 3 years work experience.

Your lack of any numerical subjects is a concern.

Do you have any internships/summer schemes/work experience lined up?

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy and Politics isn't the best route for trading. Traders tend to come from very quantitative subjects as Maths and Physics. I don't think firms care about GCSEs but no A Level Maths may be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Regret nothing. Until it is too late. Then regret everything.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Nozick11)
    Hey guys,

So i'm quite interested in being a trader. Unfortunately at GCSE I only got 2A*'s 4B's and 4C's (one of the C's was maths). At the time I just didn't try and didn't care much about school. However that attitude has definitely changed now.

I attained ABB at A level (Theology, History, Business Studies) and I study philosophy and politics. I plan to do an MBA at another Russell Group university and im confident I'll obtain a 2:1.

Will my C in maths prevent me from being a trader? Or do firms not care too much about GCSE's? Also, I can assure you all I'm not horrific at maths! I just simply had a really bad attitude at the time
    Don't do an MBA, especially with no experience and especially not at any old Russell Group university. Most banks have stopped recruiting traders from MBA programmes as is, and any old RG uni will not suffice if you want the best bang for your buck of getting into high finance.*

Right now you're in a pretty tough spot, mostly because you don't seem to have done any research into what this career involves, how one breaks in, what the standard route is through university, what it takes to be considered. So, change that and do some reading around there's a lot of info out there on careers in finance.

For now, your focus should be to get as strong as a CV as possible (are you doing anything of note at your uni? running a society? leading initiatives? managing a student run investment org? volunteering?), then you should start reaching out to alumni working in the city via linkedin get their insight on how they broke in, and lastly you should be applying to the structured programmes available to you and targeted at your stage (i.e. 2 years from graduating? Spring Week, penultimate year student? Summer Analyst, final year? summer analyst and off cycle analyst). All this theorizing now isn't going to help, start doing and applying, your gcse and a-level grades are in the past now.

As for the grades themselves, they should be fine for most firms (ABB is usually the minimum), and you don't need to have studied anything quantitative to apply to markets/S&T related schemes. You won't really stand a chance for any of the proprietary trading firms without a quantitative degree however. Be aware that if you want to do trading at an IB you better be very comfortable with numbers during your interviews - if you aren't you'll be pushed towards sales.

If all else fails, aim to get into a top tier Masters in finance programme to reset your chances.

ReputationRep:
    Retake GCSE mathematics and do mathematics to AS level to improve your numeracy skills

ReputationRep:
    My son's cousin, on his late father's side of the family went to Trinity College Dublin and did an Engineering Degree. I'm assuming he achieved a first as he was given a fantastic job straight out of Uni in England with Jaguar Land Rover, in management. His job among others was travelling to Germany and other countries testing cars in wind tunnels. Anyway his wife wanted to return to Ireland after 4 years which they did. He enrolled in the Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, where he studied something or other to do with Finance. As a result of the qualification from that course he is now a Trader with a company and works on the Dublin Stock Exchange. Obviously, in the Republic of Ireland at school they do a Leaving Cert not GCSE's, so I have no idea what type of grade he got at Maths initially. But just an example of how having had a good career in something can open doors in a completely different area later on. [He is just this month turned 30 BTW].

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.