Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Collapsed vein after blood test?! watch

ReputationRep:
    Last Sunday, so 6 days ago, I had to have a blood test done in a Greek hospital because I was on holiday in Greece and I'd had an allergic reaction. The area where the blood had been taken became sore and swollen and I asked the doctor what had happened and she said that my vein had collapsed but it was nothing to worry about because it is quite common.

However, now, 6 days later, there is a nasty looking bruise where the test had been done and it is aching quite a bit. I've looked online but there isn't really much about it... most people who this has happened to are either elderly or have some kind of disease!

Should I be worried? Will the vein ever repair itself and how long will it take to heal (ie for the bruise to go away)?.
    Could this have happened because I don't drink much fluids and was therefore dehydrated? Doctors have always struggled finding my veins but this is the first time that this has happened...

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I live in Greece and I happened to have a blood test in a private Greek facility about 2 weeks ago. Same thing happened to me but my mum who is a doctor said it would be fine. Today it looks just normal. Hope everything is well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    Hello! I live in Greece and I happened to have a blood test in a private Greek facility about 2 weeks ago. Same thing happened to me but my mum who is a doctor said it would be fine. Today it looks just normal. Hope everything is well!
    Hello, thank you for replying! Hopefully mine will heal soon then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Hello, thank you for replying! Hopefully mine will heal soon then
    No problem, anytime! Yes, I hope so too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.