Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just got my higher results and due to extenuating circumstances I got AABBB. A's in biology and English, B's in physics maths and chemistry. It's very well known that grades are extremely important for medical schools, hence I know I have no chance at all in St Andrews, Edinburgh or Glasgow but I've read that quite a lot of English unis don't stress too much over Scottish highers as long as you excel in advanced highers? For example if I take 4 AH this year and get predicted AAAA aswell as a high UKCAT do I actually have a chance of getting in? I know there are graduate routes but I would rather people just tell me realistically if I have a chance at any medical school tbh. I have got a lot of work experience at many clinics and I volunteer at an ill children's charity and elderly care home. My heart is 100% set on doing medicine in 2017... Not Biomedical sciences or anything like that. I would really appreciate some advice, I'm really stressed out right now and I don't want to give up. Anyone who has experienced similar and has got in, or knows of 'easier' medical schools to get into please let me know :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ? 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as an english student I don't know much about scottish grades (also congrats on the grades you did get btw) but each university webpage will say what they want for scottish highers for example just went on BSMS page and they said for example:

"You will normally be required to have three Advanced Highers including Biology and Chemistry grades A plus a Higher Level subject at grade B or above, or two Advanced Highers in Biology and Chemistry at grades A plus 2 Higher Level subjects at grades A."

also this link here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ttish_Students might help you. If you get a good UKCAT, and have a good PS you can definitely do it just watch out for which uni's are really grade heavy and which don't look at it all that much (e.g. newcastle, once they know you got the minimum grades, rank for interview based on UKCAT alone as far as I know)

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that link was really helpful! Hopefully if I play my cards right, I won't have to do an entire other degree to be at the same level as other applicants . Hope I find someone who was in a similar situation as me and got in !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Skhuram99)
    I'm just got my higher results and due to extenuating circumstances I got AABBB. A's in biology and English, B's in physics maths and chemistry. It's very well known that grades are extremely important for medical schools, hence I know I have no chance at all in St Andrews, Edinburgh or Glasgow but I've read that quite a lot of English unis don't stress too much over Scottish highers as long as you excel in advanced highers? For example if I take 4 AH this year and get predicted AAAA aswell as a high UKCAT do I actually have a chance of getting in? I know there are graduate routes but I would rather people just tell me realistically if I have a chance at any medical school tbh. I have got a lot of work experience at many clinics and I volunteer at an ill children's charity and elderly care home. My heart is 100% set on doing medicine in 2017... Not Biomedical sciences or anything like that. I would really appreciate some advice, I'm really stressed out right now and I don't want to give up. Anyone who has experienced similar and has got in, or knows of 'easier' medical schools to get into please let me know :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, I sent off your query to our medical school and this is the response I received: For applicants offering Scottish Highers, the requirement is AAAAA at Higher Grade including Chemistry and /or Biology. For applicants with Advance Scottish Highers, the requirement is AAA, science subjects should be studied.

Our screening process is in 3 stages: 1st stage Academic Screening -Everyone meeting our requirements will move to the next stage.
    2nd stage UKCAT Threshold -Everyone meeting the threshold set or goes above this will move to the nextstage.
    All applicants are required to sit the UKCAT test and have a valid test result for the year of application. The UKCAT score is variable and changes every year. The threshold set depends on how the applicants who apply for Newcastle University do and cannot be predicted. If an applicant has any mitigating circumstances regarding the taking of this test they must inform UKCAT as soon as possible prior to, on the day and no longer than 2 days after the test is taken. Please be aware that the UKCAT is an independent organisation and not part of the University.
    Please see below for the previous UKCAT cut off score used for A100 entry.
    A100
    2011 –2670
    2012 –2660
    2013 –2780
    2014 –2980
    2015 -2300
    2016 –2730
    3rd stage Interview - Interviews are held between mid-November to the end of February (sometimes the 1st week in March if required), and are held here at the Medical School at Newcastle University.The purpose of the interview is to confirm whether the candidate has the aptitude, motivation and personal qualities to succeed as a medical student in Newcastle University and as a potential doctor of the future. All interviews take the form of Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI’s).
    Multiple Mini Interviews will take place for all entry routes. Applicants will have the opportunity to demonstrate in a series of short interviews or practical tasks, each with a different selector, that they have the personal qualities to succeed as a medical student and future doctor. Each candidate will be scored on their performance at each MMI station by a selector. Grades will be awarded based on the following areas:
    Integrity (honesty and probity)
    Communication

Empathy and self-awareness
    Motivation and commitment to be a doctor
    Compatibility with MBBS programme
    Teamwork (including leadership)
    Personal organisation
    Persistence and resilience
    These categories will be assessed with role play, interview questions or task driven exercises. Performancein the Multiple Mini Interview will be the sole basis on which the selectors will make their judgement. These grades will be used as the basis for the decision making process for offers to study medicine.
    Prior to and during an interviewour selectors will not have access to the applicant personal statement or reference. Selectors will not convey their grades to the candidates at the time of the interview or at any time thereafter.
    Any applicant who wishes to be considered for Medicine must apply through UCAS for the 5 year (A100) programme. For entry in 2017 applications must be made between 1st September 2016 and 15th October 2016. The Medical School does not accept late applications and does not go through clearing, UCAS Extra or accept resits.

Unfortunately the University is unable to advise on the best entry route or give advice about strengthening an application.
    I hope you found this information helpful, if you have any more questions please just ask
    Isabella

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.