Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on holiday next week and I am struggling to find what to wear! It's not a beach holiday thankfully but I will be going to the USA and it's going to be very hot!

I am a size 16-18 on the bottom. I've been trying to get hold of knee length shorts but everywhere I look, they don't seem to exist or are really expensive and I need a weeks worth! Everywhere is just full of those short shorts / printed shorts. I don't want to scare anybody away wearing those!

I don't like to wear dresses, I am not a girly girl so that's out of the equation.

I have literally exhausted all of the high street shops in addition to online shops. I just don't know what to do, this rate I will be spending my holiday in the hotel. My only alternative is to swealter in jeans.

Any advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by jocoven)
    I'm going on holiday next week and I am struggling to find what to wear! It's not a beach holiday thankfully but I will be going to the USA and it's going to be very hot!

I am a size 16-18 on the bottom. I've been trying to get hold of knee length shorts but everywhere I look, they don't seem to exist or are really expensive and I need a weeks worth! Everywhere is just full of those short shorts / printed shorts. I don't want to scare anybody away wearing those!

I don't like to wear dresses, I am not a girly girl so that's out of the equation.

I have literally exhausted all of the high street shops in addition to online shops. I just don't know what to do, this rate I will be spending my holiday in the hotel. My only alternative is to swealter in jeans.

Any advice?
    If you find some shorter shorts that you like, go ahead and wear them! Who cares what other people think? It's not going to horrify anybody. If you're comfortable, that's what matters. You'll hardly be the only person in America wearing shorts in the summer. I do think New Look have some longer ones in at the moment in the Curves range, though I can't remember how much they are. It's definitely worth a try! Also, try George at Asda. They often have a lot of that kind of stuff in and are super cheap for what you'er getting. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Buy shorts from the men's section. That's probably the only place where the shorts aren't tight or really short

And you only need to buy three, just wear one every other day while you wash the other (with one spare for emergency)

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about buying the shorts while you're in the US? I know obviously you'll need a pair for the first few days but that might work if you're really stuck? TBH I wouldn't worry so much about short shorts - I live in the US and I see a lot of bigger women wearing all manner of things. If you're really bothered have you considered a larger tshirt on top to kind of balance things out? It's a very popular look here. Otherwise, like Shawn_o1 said you could look into men's shorts but wear with a cute tshirt again to balance things?

Whereabouts in the US are you going? I hope you enjoy your vacation.

ReputationRep:
    Next chino shorts are a nice length. Not knee length but longer than average

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.