Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Background: going into Year 12 student,

So I read online and got advice from tsr that you should network as early as you can

So after days of trying, I've finally got someone to connect with me and follow me back.. But now what?
    I have questions to ask him but apparently they don't like being asked questions about work? That I should just maintain relationship then when I need him ask a favour (e.g internship or job)
    So what do I do? How am I suppose to maintain relationship with him for possibly 5 years? What do I say?
    All I've said so far was 'Hello, how are you'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Background: going into Year 12 student,

So I read online and got advice from tsr that you should network as early as you can

So after days of trying, I've finally got someone to connect with me and follow me back.. But now what?
    I have questions to ask him but apparently they don't like being asked questions about work? That I should just maintain relationship then when I need him ask a favour (e.g internship or job)
    So what do I do? How am I suppose to maintain relationship with him for possibly 5 years? What do I say?
    All I've said so far was 'Hello, how are you'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's simple: the person is human. introduce yourself and make a comment about a certain aspect of their career that you're interested in, and why you connected with them. then let the conversation flow.

Just saying 'hello, how are you' just makes you come across as not serious.

But seriously, you shouldn't even be stressing that much about this, you're only about to start year 12, don't think many people will even take you that seriously just yet.

Relationship building is a two way thing and to be frank, there is no formula to follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It's simple: the person is human. introduce yourself and make a comment about a certain aspect of their career that you're interested in, and why you connected with them. then let the conversation flow.

Just saying 'hello, how are you' just makes you come across as not serious.

But seriously, you shouldn't even be stressing that much about this, you're only about to start year 12, don't think many people will even take you that seriously just yet.

Relationship building is a two way thing and to be frank, there is no formula to follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool thanks for the reply.. I just read online that speaking straight about work isn't good as 'thry are human' and don't want to be thinking about work all the time. Thanks anyway I understand now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Cool thanks for the reply.. I just read online that speaking straight about work isn't good as 'thry are human' and don't want to be thinking about work all the time. Thanks anyway I understand now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but you have to introduce yourself, they don't know who you are so why should they reply to a 'Hello, how are you?'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes but you have to introduce yourself, they don't know who you are so why should they reply to a 'Hello, how are you?'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, I get what you're getting at, thanks man

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.