Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm turning 17 mid September and I want to start driving lessons as soon as I turn 17. I once read a while back that you can apply for the provisional license a few months before your birthday, but I tried to apply for one and the only allow applications from 17 year olds and above... Can I apply now, or did I get this completely wrong?

Also, I am obviously starting A Levels at sixth form in September and I'm bracing myself for the big "step up" so do you think driving lessons on top of work at school would be too much? Would it be better for me to wait until Christmas or even Summer in 2017?

Thanks in advance!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    Hi, I'm turning 17 mid September and I want to start driving lessons as soon as I turn 17. I once read a while back that you can apply for the provisional license a few months before your birthday, but I tried to apply for one and the only allow applications from 17 year olds and above... Can I apply now, or did I get this completely wrong?

Also, I am obviously starting A Levels at sixth form in September and I'm bracing myself for the big "step up" so do you think driving lessons on top of work at school would be too much? Would it be better for me to wait until Christmas or even Summer in 2017?

Thanks in advance!
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provi...riving-licence
    You can get one at 15 and 9 months, they just set dates on it at which time you can then start driving. An hour a week of lessons shouldnt do you any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provi...riving-licence
    You can get one at 15 and 9 months, they just set dates on it at which time you can then start driving. An hour a week of lessons shouldnt do you any harm.
    Oh wow how did I not see this! Kinda confused as to why you can apply for a drivers license a year and 3 months in advance but whatever lol

Thank you!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    Oh wow how did I not see this! Kinda confused as to why you can apply for a drivers license a year and 3 months in advance but whatever lol

Thank you!
    You can drive a moped at 16, hence letting you have them early

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You can drive a moped at 16, hence letting you have them early
    Of course, just realised.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.