The Student Room Group

What if I actually got U on 3 subjects?

Hi all,

I'm currently in agony from the aftermath of seeing my Ungraded results on math, physics and chemistry and I'm currently on the process of appealing because if I flunked on my A Level, I should have numbers on my AS Level..

Why do I think so? It's because I could answer the questions on AS Level on most subjects.. I've prepared to flunk on A Level, so I don't give a damn to it..

But, on the results day, what I was expecting was totally wrong.. I was expecting D on math, C on physics and U on chem (as I gave up on chem).. I was shocked, totally shocked.. Even though the results are on the process on appealing, I've started imagining atrocious future ahead, just like Nobita on Doraemon series..

Additionally, I'm considering to commit seppuku since it would be a very harsh future..

Please tell me the statistics of people who ended up succeeded in life while they flunk on their science A Levels..

Luckily though, I still had a backup plan with my other qualification, which means I'm going to take the local Universities instead of going abroad.. This was a total nightmare as I never expected that such plan will be executed..

This is going to be a very hard time.. And, will I grow out of this within next 10 yrs? Am I going to be an inventor if I went to local University? An I going to be rich or just stuck up on a dead end jobs? IDK.. But I'm a failure and a trainwreck future waits ahead..
(edited 7 years ago)
I hear London met and Liverpool uni are in clearing this year.
Original post by AppealingGuy
Hi all,

I'm currently in agony from the aftermath of seeing my Ungraded results on math, physics and chemistry and I'm currently on the process of appealing because if I flunked on my A Level, I should have numbers on my AS Level..

Why do I think so? It's because I could answer the questions on AS Level on most subjects.. I've prepared to flunk on A Level, so I don't give a damn to it..

But, on the results day, what I was expecting was totally wrong.. I was expecting D on math, C on physics and U on chem (as I gave up on chem).. I was shocked, totally shocked.. Even though the results are on the process on appealing, I've started imagining atrocious future ahead, just like Nobita on Doraemon series..

Additionally, I'm considering to commit seppuku since it would be a very harsh future..

Please tell me the statistics of people who ended up succeeded in life while they flunk on their science A Levels..

Luckily though, I still had a backup plan with my other qualification, which means I'm going to take the local Universities instead of going abroad.. This was a total nightmare..

This is going to be a very hard time.. And, will I grow out of this within next 10 yrs?

I got E's in my 2 science a levels (in fact i probably hold that sixth forms records for U's in as and a2 exams, had 12 in total i think:/) and my lifes turned out in a way i m very happy with, its not the end of the world i promise :smile:
Original post by lucabrasi98
I hear London met and Liverpool uni are in clearing this year.

Unfortunately, there are no clearing option in my country, which is a South East Asian country..
Original post by claireestelle
I got E's in my 2 science a levels (in fact i probably hold that sixth forms records for U's in as and a2 exams, had 12 in total i think:/) and my lifes turned out in a way i m very happy with, its not the end of the world i promise :smile:

U got written on the certificate? I just knew it recently..

How many subjects you took? I only took 4 subjects..

Sorry for breaking in your privacy: how old are you now and how much you ended up make in a year?

If you don't want to answer it, it's ok, just leave it like nothing..
U got written on the certificate? I just knew it recently..

How many subjects you took? I only took 4 subjects..

Sorry for breaking in your privacy: how old are you now and how much you ended up make in a year?

If you don't want to answer it, it's ok, just leave it like nothing..

I took 4 for As got AEEE, carried on 3 subjects for A2 then got BEE. I'm 21 (and its a long story; i went to uni for 2.5 years, did a 2 year course for 2 years to get onto nursing, did nursing for sixth months and realised it wasnt what i wanted after all) so now i started a new job just over a month ago and earn about 11.5k a year i think. I m contracted 34 hours a week so dont quite do "full time" hours and will potentially get a pay rise after a year in the job. (I think progression wise i could eventually get up to 20k ish after more qualifications but money has never been important to me, as long as I enjoy my job and can raise a family on our income i m happy :smile: )
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think university is for you.
I took 4 for As got AEEE, carried on 3 subjects for A2 then got BEE. I'm 21 (and its a long story; i went to uni for 2.5 years, did a 2 year course for 2 years to get onto nursing, did nursing for sixth months and realised it wasnt what i wanted after all) so now i started a new job just over a month ago and earn about 11.5k a year i think. I m contracted 34 hours a week so dont quite do "full time" hours and will potentially get a pay rise after a year in the job. (I think progression wise i could eventually get up to 20k ish after more qualifications but money has never been important to me, as long as I enjoy my job and can raise a family on our income i m happy :smile: )

I've always wanted to be an inventor, to do so, I need to go to a better university, such as NTU in Singapore.. However, I think I have to bury all my dreams and go to a local uni, then stuck with a dead end and low-paid job (as in $200/mo) instead of being an inventor and I would have a hard time adapting to an environment which I never prepared for.. It's a total trainwreck future for me ahead.. It seems my English ability, something that I invested my whole life doing so turned useless in an instant (I'm not from UK/Eruope/Americas, I'm from an Asian country)..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Antediluvian

Hey, I still have some plans.. I didn't flunk on other qualifications..
I've always wanted to be an inventor, to do so, I need to go to a better university, such as NTU in Singapore.. However, I think I have to bury all my dreams and go to a local uni, then stuck with a dead end and low-paid job (as in $200/mo) instead of being an inventor and I would have a hard time adapting to an environment which I never prepared for.. It's a total trainwreck

I dont know if there's a set path to become an inventor, going to a local uni doesnt mean you'll be stuck in a dead end job. A degree is a necessary step on a ladder for many things but experience is more important in many cases.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Antediluvian

A levels dont suit everybody, i averaged a 2:1 in 1st year and 1st in second year after flunking my a levels :P
I dont know if there's a set path to become an inventor, going to a local uni doesnt mean you'll be stuck in a dead end job. A degree is a necessary step on a ladder for many things but experience is more important in many cases.

I know it. So, I have to spend some time moving on then work on the National University Entrance Exam or the last resort uni test..

I didn't regret my decision to defer and take A Levels though, it taught me better moral values, attitude, etc.. I'm just spending some hard time accepting the reality and moving on swallowing the bitter pill..
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all,

Luckily though, I still had a backup plan with my other qualification, which means I'm going to take the local Universities instead of going abroad.. This was a total nightmare as I never expected that such plan will be executed..

This is going to be a very hard time.. And, will I grow out of this within next 10 yrs? Am I going to be an inventor if I went to local University? An I going to be rich or just stuck up on a dead end jobs? IDK.. But I'm a failure and a trainwreck future waits ahead..

Didnt undestand most of that, but

Failing your A levels not the end of the world- just decide if you have the abiliyu and wnat to retake them.

Alternatively consider taking up a trade or soemthing more vocational or an apprenticeship.

Nobody cna give you guarantees about your future, thats in your hands. but do keep things in perspective and realise its just one of lifes hiccups and you can soon recover. No need to panic.
I know it. So, I have to spend some time moving on then work on the National University Entrance Exam or the last resort uni test..

Things have a way of working out in the end so dont be too downhearted okay:smile:
Things have a way of working out in the end so dont be too downhearted okay:smile:

To be honest, I don't even know what my dream countries has to offer.. No one had ever guaranteed my success by getting there though..

At least now I'm appealing because I want to know what my original scores are.. I'll accept even E.. It's much better than nothing (as in Ungraded/NULL/Unknown)
(edited 7 years ago)
To be honest, I don't even know what my dream countries has to offer.. No one had ever guaranteed my success by getting there though..

At least now I'm appealing because I want to know what my original scores are.. I'll accept even E.. It's much better than nothing (as in Ungraded/NULL/Unknown)

Yeah,just see how the appeal goes before making any other decisions i think :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah,just see how the appeal goes before making any other decisions i think :smile:

I guess I need to start working on the other project..

I certainly believe that my results were graded harsh.. It shouldn't be like that.. If it was an error, then it would be so harsh..
Hi all,

Okay first of all be calm, now I know someone who got all U's in their a levels. His school told him he would have to repeat a whole 2 years if he wants to do his exams so he left school and started a job to save up money to pay for exams. He said that at the beginning it seemed hard and a lot of work but as he continued to revise it became a much easier. He ended up achieving A*AA in maths, chemistry, biology and studies chemistry at Edinburgh uni. What I'm going to say will sound quite cheesy but is true, it goes to show if you have hope and put in the effort you can be successful. All the best :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest