Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    have yall written any songs? i kinda play guitar and piano, but not too well. im using www.chordstudio.com to practice and its been cool. im thinking of trying to put together a song on it...any ideas as to what would sound good on there?

ReputationRep:
    i write songs quite often, but nothing public. there are loads of tips, but youve got the main thing right. when starting the song play around with a chord sequence. record the chord sequence on piano. then try some arpeggios on guitar on top of the chord sequence or scales that share the same root note with the chords. that is pretty much, imo, the basic formula for a basic song. good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I spend nearly all my free time that's not on TSR, reading or other, playing my Piano. Mainly just improvising mindlessly around a chord sequence or existing tune. It can be some fo the best fun in the world once you get into the swing of it. It is practice, the more you do, the better it'll sound.

ReputationRep:
    thanks yall...so do you think that site is a good place to write or at least get my idea for what to write? im not good enough at guitar to try to write while playing

ReputationRep:
    Listen to as wide a range of styles as you can, if you get inspiration from here, then fine. If not, find another way. Everyone is different.

ReputationRep:
    thanks yall...i think im on my way to writing some cool songs, or at least beggining to learn how! thanks for your help... yall should check out that site, its really helping me get the feel for my songs

ReputationRep:
    If you begin with an excellent chord sequence - it really helps the rest of the construction of the song alot, I find.

Think outside the box! Do wierd things or different things and don't be afraid to try anything...

ReputationRep:
    I produce music; and compose poetry, some of which might translate (though perhaps not readily) into lyrics.

I've yet to set out with the express or explicit intention of 'writing a song', however. Though this may yet be of interest to you.

ReputationRep:
    thanks yall! im gettin there...

ReputationRep:
    I've done a couple, two are on myspace

www.myspace.com/pleadinsanityrock

Feel free to let me know what you think, best of luck with yours!

ReputationRep:
    ive just been using that site, and the only thing is that dont get used to using two or three 'common' chords, experiment a lot

ReputationRep:
    yeah good idea, thanks...i try to use it just for the backing, and then play the modified chords myself, still sounds good

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i've been writing songs for a while now, never got the guts to actually play them to anyone. Which either makes the whole process redundant or very personal and philosophical... Probably the former.

Anyway, i've start to look into recording stuff and found a website that's pretty new you might not have heard of. It's called Slicethepie. I might be telling you what you already know but just in case, apparently users can invest money into unsigned artists so that they can pay to have an album recorded without having an actually recording contract... swish eh?

I had a look, it seems pretty kosher. Worth a gander if you reckon your any good

ReputationRep:
    just checked and it's - www.slicethepie.com

ReputationRep:
    ok so here's what I've got so far!

http://www.chordstudio.com/ChordStud...05&SongId=3643

close the help box and then press play at the bottom of the screen. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    sounds good, only thing at the end instead of having just G(sharp) have half the bar as G(sharp) and the other half with E obviously halving the length of each note so it all fits in

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.