Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here is a tip:

I bought a Western Digital Hard Drive this week.

I put it into my SCYTHE QUIET BOX to cut down the noise. I found that the seek noise was still amazingly loud (esp comapred to my Samsung drive of same spec).

So I used AAM (advanced accoustic management) - this is a method used to reduce seek noises by messing aroudn with the HDD settings. Now the HDD is damn near on silent. Loving it.

To enable AAM the best way is to go to ultimatebootcd.com and download the ISO that and burn it (this is a great tool BTW- its a CD full of nifty tools that you would normally need to make floppy disks for) and on that is something called FEATURES TOOL by Hitachi/IBM - you can use that for the WD drive to turn on AAM. (you have to boot fro mthe CD, obviously, and the software is udner the menu of Disk Tools/Disk management or something!)

Note the AAM will NOT work on Seagate drives.

Have fun.

here is a paragraph explaining AAM:

Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM). This technology sacrifices some seek latency in favor of softer, quieter seeks. The performance hit is often small enough that AAM is well worth using. With the notable exception of Seagate, all manufacturers these days allow AAM to be enabled, although its effectiveness varies wildly from drive to drive. Not all manufacturers provide a utility to enable and adjust AAM, but almost all drives work with Hitachi's feature tool.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really good, I'd definately give it a try if I didn't have a seagate drive. Oh well...

ReputationRep:
    I have a crazy need to reduce noise in my PC - if I had a Seagate and knew this technology existed and coudl makemy HDD quieter I'd bin the Seagate, lol.

My PC is damn near silent to perfection now - as soon as I get an LCD monitor all of the noise will be gone!

ReputationRep:
    My new computer is very quick, but it's also pretty loud. If I put the case fan onto high setting it sounds a lot like an aeroplane. So I've turned it down, and I've downloaded this very cool app called speedfan which can monitor the temperature of your computer, and you can manually adjust the fan speeds. Very nifty.

It's still pretty loud though, which I think is down to the hard drive and the GPU (8800gts ). But I'm not going to replace a week old hard drive just because it's a bit noisy. It's a great spec hard drive too, 320GB, 16MB cache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I have a crazy need to reduce noise in my PC - if I had a Seagate and knew this technology existed and coudl makemy HDD quieter I'd bin the Seagate, lol.

My PC is damn near silent to perfection now - as soon as I get an LCD monitor all of the noise will be gone!
    I'd call it a fetish. I have recently bought two 1TB external HDDs from Hitachi and they're quiet. Time to get capturing!

ReputationRep:
    Why did you buy two 1TB ones as opposed to, say four 500GB hard disks? It would have saved you a bundle of cash if you had taken the latter route.

ReputationRep:
    I already have 4 x 500GBs (internal). I got quite a good deal and looked around and not much in it. Plus I wasn't too fond of buying another LaCie drive after one of mine went bust. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I already have 4 x 500GBs (internal). I got quite a good deal and looked around and not much in it. Plus I wasn't too fond of buying another LaCie drive after one of mine went bust. :mad:
    Your need for that much space is intriguing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spin2)
    Your need for that much space is intriguing...
    Was wondering if anyone would say that. :rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.