Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some of you may be aware of KIC 8462852 (also known as Tabby's star), a star that has sparked some controversy when it was suggested that it's strange behaviour may be caused by alien constructions.Many of you will likely see the suggestion of 'Alien being the cause' as somewhat conspiratorial and farfetched. But I'm also willing to bet that the majority of people reading this take for granted the idea that complex and intelligent life exist somewhere in our universe. So as strange and ridiculous it may seem, it could be very well the cause. However, there is simply not enough information out at the moment to have any meaningful discussion about what is or isn't causing Tabby's Star's fancy behaviour, I wanted to address a different concept:

The eventual discovery of intelligent alien life is unlikely to be grand affair with a giant mothership appearing on our doorstep. Instead, such a discovery is likely to be drawn out, with several candidates appearing over the years before one moves from "maybe" to "quite likely". This is the concept I wanted to explore.

A few questions to ponder:

1) How do you envision such a discovery to develop?
    2) How do you envision an announcement to take place?
    3) Would you feel disappointed is intelligent life was discovered this way, knowing we may never speak of communicate in your lifetime?
    4) How do you envision societies reaction to this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Some of you may be aware of KIC 8462852 (also known as Tabby's star), a star that has sparked some controversy when it was suggested that it's strange behaviour may be caused by alien constructions.Many of you will likely see the suggestion of 'Alien being the cause' as somewhat conspiratorial and farfetched. But I'm also willing to bet that the majority of people reading this take for granted the idea that complex and intelligent life exist somewhere in our universe. So as strange and ridiculous it may seem, it could be very well the cause. However, there is simply not enough information out at the moment to have any meaningful discussion about what is or isn't causing Tabby's Star's fancy behaviour, I wanted to address a different concept:

The eventual discovery of intelligent alien life is unlikely to be grand affair with a giant mothership appearing on our doorstep. Instead, such a discovery is likely to be drawn out, with several candidates appearing over the years before one moves from "maybe" to "quite likely". This is the concept I wanted to explore.

A few questions to ponder:
    1) How do you envision such a discovery to develop?

TESS is going up in 2017 and over several years will scan the closest 200,000 stars for planets including the load of Red Dwarfs close to us. Since it's likely that we'll find several thousand planets i imagine that in the 2020's we'll find several likely candidates relatively nearby.

2) How do you envision an announcement to take place?

News however i don't think it will radically change things for most people since they won't see it as effecting their lives.

3) Would you feel disappointed is intelligent life was discovered this way, knowing we may never speak of communicate in your lifetime?

We can actually send a message at light speed and potentially get one back, if they are developed then who knows they may get here.

The 2200's are when we likely form our empire and take our place among the other alien races. For now it's mainly about looking and listening.

4) How do you envision societies reaction to this?

Xenophobia is pretty likely.

ReputationRep:
    I think that its probably not as likely as you think that intelligent life does exist right now.You forget that the universe is big in time and space.So the likelyhood is that if any civilisations existed then they existed thousands of years ago and billions of miles away.The chances that that two intelligent civilisations would overlap and be close enough to communicate with is probably incredibly small.So if we do find intelligent life it will most likely be in the distant future if we develop interstellar travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    I think that its probably not as likely as you think that intelligent life does exist right now.You forget that the universe is big in time and space.So the likelyhood is that if any civilisations existed then they existed thousands of years ago and billions of miles away. The chances that that two intelligent civilisations would overlap and be close enough to communicate with is probably incredibly small.
    A lot of this ultimately comes down to the big question of just how common life is in the universe. At the moment, it's anywhere between having only occurred once, to multi-cellular organisms crawling over practically every celestial object.

But the assumption would be that once a civilization becomes advanced enough to make a mark in the universe (so that we can see them), they would likely stick around for a good while longer.
    (Original post by Rakas21)

We can actually send a message at light speed and potentially get one back, if they are developed then who knows they may get here.
    It all depends really. Finding another a candidate within 50ly seems rather small. KIC 8462852 itself is around 1500ly away.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of this ultimately comes down to the big question of just how common life is in the universe. At the moment, it's anywhere between having only occurred once, to multi-cellular organisms crawling over practically every celestial object.

But the assumption would be that once a civilization becomes advanced enough to make a mark in the universe (so that we can see them), they would likely stick around for a good while longer.

It all depends really. Finding another a candidate within 50ly seems rather small. KIC 8462852 itself is around 1500ly away.
    That would be the assumption but there is also the possibilty that they would destroy themselves.We could destroy ourselves if we wanted to.And life could be really common but intelligent life might be much rarer.If we could travel at close to light speed then it wouldnt matter how far away they were due to the effects of relativity but thats unlikely to happen any time soon if ever.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

That was identified by Kepler which scans one part of the sky very deeply. Tess will scan the whole to a shallower depth however even within 50 light years are hundreds of stars. We also know now that red dwarfs have rocky planets.

The number of rocky earth size planets is now estimated to be in the billions. Our galaxy is teaming with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    That was identified by Kepler which scans one part of the sky very deeply. Tess will scan the whole to a shallower depth however even within 50 light years are hundreds of stars. We also know now that red dwarfs have rocky planets.

The number of rocky earth size planets is now estimated to be in the billions. Our galaxy is teaming with them.

Not really.There may be a lot of rocky earth size planets but we know hardly anything about how life actually originated.Sure we know how life changed through evoloution but we dont know exactly how improbable the origin of life was.It could have been trillions to one in which case life would be a lot rarer or it could be incredibly common.We dont know.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Not really.There may be a lot of rocky earth size planets but we know hardly anything about how life actually originated.Sure we know how life changed through evoloution but we dont know exactly how improbable the origin of life was.It could have been trillions to one in which case life would be a lot rarer or it could be incredibly common.We dont know.
    True however what we've found on earth is that life exists even in the harshest environments, that in space we actually thought there might only be 10,000 habitable planets in the galaxy back in the 60's (as i said, what we've actually found is that the galaxy sticks planets almost wherever it can) and so while i can't back it up with science right now, i'm inclined to believe that as special as life is, it's not all that rare. I suspect that the galaxy is teaming with life.

ReputationRep:
    1480 light years away. Defo intelligent choosing to move far away from us

I am confused.. how is the dimming a sign of intelligent life?

Edit: nvmind dyson spheres

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.