Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm applying for medicine this year and I'm wondering if theres anyone who is able to give me some help reading and critiqueing my current version. I currently already have 1/2 people who have offered to help out but feel that if theres anyone else who would be able to have a look then that would be great. I'm applying to Cambridge, Birmingham, Newcastle and either Birmingham or Bristol.
    Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by IHoldroyd)
    Hey guys, I'm applying for medicine this year and I'm wondering if theres anyone who is able to give me some help reading and critiqueing my current version. I currently already have 1/2 people who have offered to help out but feel that if theres anyone else who would be able to have a look then that would be great. I'm applying to Cambridge, Birmingham, Newcastle and either Birmingham or Bristol.
    Thanks
    I'm going to move this to medicine for you, but please be careful who you share your personal statement with on the internet,its pretty risky.

ReputationRep:
    Happy to give your personal statement a read and provide some critique.

BUT like above has said, be careful with this. Obviously don't post the PS online but also be careful about Private Messaging your PS to others. If you can, best to get some teachers in your school or some trusted family/friends to look it over.

Have a read of this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...u-need-to-know

I'm an Unconditional offer holder so starting in September so your PS is of no use to me, but still, be careful about sending your PS to strangers.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do not send your personal statement to other people on TSR (by PM), even those that say they have an offer etc. and don't post any part of it (even a sentence), as this may lead to your statement being flagged for plagiarism when it's submitted to UCAS.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Don't send your personal statement to anyone, speak to a tutor about it. Seriously, don't do it. And for goodness sake don't pay extortionate amounts of money for consultation. Please email or go and see your tutor. They'll be able to help you and guide you, absolutely free with no risk of you being flagged for plagiarism.

ReputationRep:
    Don't send a virtual copy of your personal statement to anyone, except people you trust that would never want to plagiarise it. Also be careful of the amount of people that read your personal statement. Everyone is different and would have different opinions so if your personal statement is over read it may lose the 'personal' aspect of it.

Also remember that it's YOUR personal statement. Not your mum's or your form tutor's or your best friend's. It's yours so you must must MUST be happy with the end product and it must feel like you copied and pasted yourself onto the page. It should flow and 'sound' like you.

And last thing, make sure the people who read it actually know what they're on about/know what unis want. There's no point getting someone who's inexperienced to read you personal statement as their advice may do more harm and good.
    For me I got my firm Tutor, the head of medical applications in my college, my sister who applied for medicine once upon a time and my mum, who's a doctor and followed me to each open day and wrote down more notes than I did.

Be strategic and I wish you all the best of luck with everything. Enjoy the application process, it's just the beginning of something magical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.