Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm soon to start year 11 and have started to do a little revising. Could anybody tell me roughly (I know that the mark scheme differs each year) what sort of mark percentage wise I should be aiming for to secure an A? It would be good to get an idea of where I am in regards to taking past papers as practice and to be honest the whole raw/UMS mark thing confuses me! Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted an A you'd need around 93%. You'd probably get away with 90% and above but 93 would definitely secure it.

ReputationRep:
    Unless I'm really really confused right now an A in paper 1 is about 60/90 (Last year I think it was 60, the year before 61) which 67%.
    And A in paper 2 is usually a couple of marks lower because paper 2 is the most irritating paper in the world. Apart from this year when it was F-U-N.
    I'd say 65% overall?

But don't go for a specific percentage. Do the best you can do and if you want/need an A, try and reach for as high an A (or even an A*) as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwishicouldfly14)
    Unless I'm really really confused right now an A in paper 1 is about 60/90 (Last year I think it was 60, the year before 61) which 67%.
    And A in paper 2 is usually a couple of marks lower because paper 2 is the most irritating paper in the world. Apart from this year when it was F-U-N.
    I'd say 65% overall?

But don't go for a specific percentage. Do the best you can do and if you want/need an A, try and reach for as high an A (or even an A*) as you can.
    Thank you to both of you for your replies. iwishicouldfly, thats what I worked it out to be but 67% didn't sound high enough? It must have been a really hard paper. Gives me something to work towards! Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Offmyrocker)
    Thank you to both of you for your replies. iwishicouldfly, thats what I worked it out to be but 67% didn't sound high enough? It must have been a really hard paper. Gives me something to work towards! Thanks again.
    It's IGCSE, the grade boundaries are often lower.
    In some of the sciences, 67% can be an A* (I remember one of the practice exams I did was something like that).
    Last year's paper 2 was quite hard, but in general, the grade boundaries seem to be quite low.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.