Turn on thread page Beta

When you go for an Indian... watch

• View Poll Results: Does it feel less authentic
    Yes
    45.65%
    No
    54.35%

ReputationRep:
    Does it feel less authentic if you are served by a non indian/asian - i.e a white person ?

Same goes for Chinese I spose.. I wouldn;t say Italian though as every restaurant I have been to that serves Italian foods seems to be mainly staffed by english/white peopel rather than actual italian people.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I love all the culture surrounding foods, so for me, part of the experience of any foreign meal is to be served by the people of that country, or their descendants.

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesnt feel authentic to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    I agree - I find Indian restaurants are the one place where equality in employment (regarding race) pretty much goes out of the window - usually because indian restaurents are often staffed by friends/families of the owners from my experience.

Always cracks me up when I see a token white person at one of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    No, it doesnt feel authentic to begin with.
    Then your vote is kind of irrelevant to this poll :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no.. my answer of No (it does not make it less authentic) is valid..

ReputationRep:
    Its annoying that most 'Indian' restaurants are infact run by Bangladeshi's

ReputationRep:
    I don't even bother to notice; if there's food around I'm usually going to be too preoccupied with that to think about people. In any case, if you're looking for really authentic Indian food, go to India; I can't imagine visiting any Indian restaurant in the UK - no matter how hard they try with the atmosphere - feeling like an authentic Indian dining experience.

ReputationRep:
    Not bothered. Indian food is my favourite so I'm looking at my plate, not the staff waiting-on

ReputationRep:
    Of course. It's part of the atmosphere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I agree - I find Indian restaurants are the one place where equality in employment (regarding race) pretty much goes out of the window - usually because indian restaurents are often staffed by friends/families of the owners from my experience.

Always cracks me up when I see a token white person at one of them!
    it's not about what you know; it's about who you know

ReputationRep:
    No, in the same way I don't expect a local Italian to be staffed entirely with Italians, a Turkish place staffed by Turks, or a French Restaurant staffed by French.

It also depends what you mean by "authentic" - as other people have said, it's never going to be the same as going to the actual country.

ReputationRep:
    As long as the food's authentic, I don't care who I'm served by.

ReputationRep:
    Im white, and work in a chinese restaurant.
    I hate to think that people would dislike it becasue Im not chinese. I know what I'm doing as far as serving is concerned, and the food is great. So I odnt see why epople wouldnt like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    No, in the same way I don't expect a local Italian to be staffed entirely with Italians, a Turkish place staffed by Turks, or a French Restaurant staffed by French.

It also depends what you mean by "authentic" - as other people have said, it's never going to be the same as going to the actual country.
    a chippy staffed by whites?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be eating food cooked by an Indian chef. The waiter is a FPC (a ******* plate carrier, as I used to call myself when I waitrssed). It makes no difference to the taste of the food.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to a restaurant for an indian, only ever had a take-away curry delivered to the door and I couldn't really care less what the delivery person looked like lol so I chose no.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather my pizza wasn't delivered by a stoned hippy but what can you do?

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. I have two friends with Irish Australian backgrounds, who work at Chinese and Indian restaurants and they love it, say it's great fun. Also in first year I had a part-time job as a kitchen hand at an Ethiopian cuisine (but that was for another reason, they paid cash in hand = no having to tell social secuity ). Winners all round :cool:

*Kids don't follow my example* x

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.