Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Chemistry vs Biochemistry vs Chem Engineering

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I dont know what i wont to do. I enjoy Chemistry but im worried about the job prospects since I want to get a MSci and work in industry. I aim to stay in science and dont to go off to finance.

I am only interested in Chemical Engineering for the wrong reasons ie the supposed " high salary" and "good job prospects".

I am so confused and need some advice on these degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Only pursue chemical engineering if you're prepared to do a lot of maths and physics. There is little chemistry involved.

ReputationRep:
    I would be lying if I said a 'high salary' wasn't a reason why I decided I'm going to apply for Chemical Engineering having applied for Chemistry this year and deciding to take a gap year and reapply. Understand that there's very little Chemistry in Chemical Engineering so if you enjoy Chemistry, you might not necessarily enjoy Chemical Engineering. Rather ask yourself if you enjoy Maths and Physics.

I think it's fine if those were the reasons that you're considering Chemical Engineering but you need to be sure that you'll at least be able to get through the degree. Generally, Chemical Engineers will earn more than someone who's done a degree in Chemistry but obviously, there's exceptions and it entirely depends where you take your career.

If you enjoy Chemistry, I doubt you'll regret doing it especially if you aim to stay in science but Chemical Engineering will potentially give you a more 'clear-cut' career.

ReputationRep:
    What turned you off from doing a chemistry degree in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowStorm689)
    I dont know what i wont to do. I enjoy Chemistry but im worried about the job prospects since I want to get a MSci and work in industry. I aim to stay in science and dont to go off to finance.

I am only interested in Chemical Engineering for the wrong reasons ie the supposed " high salary" and "good job prospects".

I am so confused and need some advice on these degrees.
    There are Universities that do chemistry and chemical engineering and accredited by royal society of chemistry and Icheme like Stratcylde in Scotland

ReputationRep:
    What turned you off from doing a chemistry degree in the end?
    Halfway through the year, I started having doubts. Some of the things I learnt like most of the Inorganic Chemistry bored me and I realised it probably wasn't what I wanted to learn at university. I also wasn't sure where the degree would lead me like I wasn't sure if I would have wanted to go ahead with a PhD or go straight into industry.

Chemical Engineering answered both of my doubts. The majority of the Chemistry in a Chemical Engineering degree is Physical Chemistry which is what I liked doing as there's a lot of Maths in topics such as Thermodynamics. Also, I had a much better idea of how my career would eventually progress having done a Chemical Engineering degree rather than a Chemistry degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, where are planning on going? I'm also interested in Chem eng.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm in exactly the same position I was considering any from pharmacy, pharmacology, biotech, chem, biochem, chem eng or anything else. The only reason I an considering chem eng is because of what you said also I'm really good in maths I do further maths is well. I've sort of cut out both the pharm and left with the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umz_rana)
    Hi

I'm in exactly the same position I was considering any from pharmacy, pharmacology, biotech, chem, biochem, chem eng or anything else. The only reason I an considering chem eng is because of what you said also I'm really good in maths I do further maths is well. I've sort of cut out both the pharm and left with the rest.
    Well I've more or less decided I'm going to do a chemistry degree. I knew all along I wanted to do it but I was more worried about ending up unemployed after my degree. You have to ask yourself do you really want to do Chem eng degree for the next 3/4 years and why? You need to have a strong interest in maths to be able to do well in it. I would recommend looking at the course content of these degrees and see what interest you. Also understand that most of "big money" comes from oil and gas and currently it doesn't look good but you never know in 3/4 years.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've more or less decided I'm going to do a chemistry degree. I knew all along I wanted to do it but I was more worried about ending up unemployed after my degree. You have to ask yourself do you really want to do Chem eng degree for the next 3/4 years and why? You need to have a strong interest in maths to be able to do well in it. I would recommend looking at the course content of these degrees and see what interest you. Also understand that most of "big money" comes from oil and gas and currently it doesn't look good but you never know in 3/4 years.
    Yh same I've kind of decided that is well lol. But tbh money wasn't the problem for me with a chem degree because you cam get money with that is well with a chem degree the problem for me is that I dont seem excited as it sounds dead. Biochem and anything related I had the problem of money. Still not 100% sure but pretty much decided to not do chem eng.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.