Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.Okay so I just got my AS results and its terrible. I thought of doing A levels to increase my marks or maybe doing a foundation course for engineering and going to college for a bachelor's degree.Anyone has done foundation course without A levels and gone to college? How difficult is the foundation course conpared to IGCSE/GCSE and AS/A levels?What do you guys think is the best option? And will having good SAT score be helpful to go for bachelor's degree if I get the foundation degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani =))
    Hey everyone.Okay so I just got my AS results and its terrible. I thought of doing A levels to increase my marks or maybe doing a foundation course for engineering and going to college for a bachelor's degree.Anyone has done foundation course without A levels and gone to college? How difficult is the foundation course conpared to IGCSE/GCSE and AS/A levels?What do you guys think is the best option? And will having good SAT score be helpful to go for bachelor's degree if I get the foundation degree?
    Finish your A Levels, even if your AS grades aren't that good. I believe the new system is that your AS grades don't count toward your A level grade if you carry it onto year 13. But this is in the UK only. You mentioned SATs, so are you in the USA?
    I would personally highly recommend foundation courses, it'll mean you won't have to give up your dream on a particular course if you don't get the grades for it. My friend is currently taking foundation course in engineering at Nottingham university and he hopes to pass that and go onto the architecture course. In the UK there's loads of foundation courses, for a range of subjects. Some of the foundation courses, for example for Medicine have certain requirements though. For example you had to have gone to a state school in a poor background/ be a carer/ have mitigating circumstances etc. But most courses don't have such requirements.
    So definitely not the end of the world, regarding your AS results! Lots of options out there, don't give up, continue with your A levels and do the best you can and know your options are there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Finish your A Levels, even if your AS grades aren't that good. I believe the new system is that your AS grades don't count toward your A level grade if you carry it onto year 13. But this is in the UK only. You mentioned SATs, so are you in the USA?
    I would personally highly recommend foundation courses, it'll mean you won't have to give up your dream on a particular course if you don't get the grades for it. My friend is currently taking foundation course in engineering at Nottingham university and he hopes to pass that and go onto the architecture course. In the UK there's loads of foundation courses, for a range of subjects. Some of the foundation courses, for example for Medicine have certain requirements though. For example you had to have gone to a state school in a poor background/ be a carer/ have mitigating circumstances etc. But most courses don't have such requirements.
    So definitely not the end of the world, regarding your AS results! Lots of options out there, don't give up, continue with your A levels and do the best you can and know your options are there
    Thanks for the advice.
    No I'm not in US, I stay in UAE and so confused about what to do next ans where to go. AS results do contribute to A levels, which is why I didn't think I can do good.
    I thought of resitting the As exams again along with my A levels but that means twice the stress and topics to study.
    If I do foundation in engineering can I transfer to other Unis for bachelor's?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.