Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently writing out my Creative Writing controlled assessment. It's narrative writing, and I've got a plot and all, but I've no idea how long it's meant to be (in terms of number of words). The teacher kept changing what she said: first she said 5 handwritten A4 pages (sides) then 3 etc.
    Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    Well..the best advice is..creative writing is obviously a story. Keep it simple. As in, don't drag unnecessarily. You can't really put a limit on it. If it can end in one page, end it in one page. Don't make the piece of work lose its charm because its unnecessarily long. 1 page of excellence is better than 3 pages of waffle. Quality over quantity.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    I seem to remember my teacher saying 800 words? I cant be sure though, its been a while since i did it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    I seem to remember my teacher saying 800 words? I cant be sure though, its been a while since i did it
    Oh, wow, okay, that seems pretty short, especially since I've already hit that and I'm only about a third in (though I haven't entirely outlined the plot so it's not set in stone). I'm sort of hoping it's meant to be longer than that. Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    Well..the best advice is..creative writing is obviously a story. Keep it simple. As in, don't drag unnecessarily. You can't really put a limit on it. If it can end in one page, end it in one page. Don't make the piece of work lose its charm because its unnecessarily long. 1 page of excellence is better than 3 pages of waffle. Quality over quantity.
    I agree Quality over quantity. It's just we've got like an hour or an hour and a half to write it all out, and I don't want to be sitting there for ages having something that's way shorter than it could have been.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by WoodenSword47)
    Oh, wow, okay, that seems pretty short, especially since I've already hit that and I'm only about a third in (though I haven't entirely outlined the plot so it's not set in stone). I'm sort of hoping it's meant to be longer than that. Thanks though
    Yeah I do remember it having to be very short

ReputationRep:
    My creative writing was a description. I covered one page in size 10 font approx. 630 words or 2400 characters. But if you are writing a story, try and have a line and stick to it without diverting off into an over-description of someone or something. Alternatively, of course, your creative writing could be a description of a place, real or imaginary. But the key features are the techniques and language.
    If you use advanced vocabulary and techniques like alliteration or similes you can get full marks without needing to even have a story, but if you have started writing it already with a story line then that becomes as important as the techniques etc.
    In fact we were even told you can do a poem, but you must then analyse and explain your own poem.
    Hand written (and it does depend on the size of your writing) it should be about three pages. I would put a cap on it at 2000 words, that's starting to get into real essay mode.
    For my other course work I did 800 words for my informed writing (an article). I was lucky in the fact I had already written one as a piece of Biology homework and my teacher allowed me to use that as my article and it got nearly full marks.
    IDK about my other course work because that was written by hand, but I did it over a year ago and I don't really remember it that well TBH.

ReputationRep:
    WoodenSword47 - That's what I'm saying. If you think something is finished up to a high standard quicker than the time limit, then leave it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    My creative writing was a description. I covered one page in size 10 font approx. 630 words or 2400 characters. But if you are writing a story, try and have a line and stick to it without diverting off into an over-description of someone or something. Alternatively, of course, your creative writing could be a description of a place, real or imaginary. But the key features are the techniques and language.
    If you use advanced vocabulary and techniques like alliteration or similes you can get full marks without needing to even have a story, but if you have started writing it already with a story line then that becomes as important as the techniques etc.
    In fact we were even told you can do a poem, but you must then analyse and explain your own poem.
    Hand written (and it does depend on the size of your writing) it should be about three pages. I would put a cap on it at 2000 words, that's starting to get into real essay mode.
    For my other course work I did 800 words for my informed writing (an article). I was lucky in the fact I had already written one as a piece of Biology homework and my teacher allowed me to use that as my article and it got nearly full marks.
    IDK about my other course work because that was written by hand, but I did it over a year ago and I don't really remember it that well TBH.
    Yeah, the teacher said we could actually do whatever we wanted (a poem, a newspaper article, etc.) but that she encouraged us to write a short story because it would generally be easier (and probably far more interesting to mark for her xD). I think 2000 words seems like a good guideline limit (my handwriting averages about 13 words a line).

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.