Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    in year 10 we had to do a presentation on anything we wanted. in class when we were preparing them, i had to leave because of a panic attack (i have social/general anxiety) my teacher said i could do it in front of just her. i suffered more panic attacks though and ended up being kept off school because of my mood and anxiety levels. i didn't do that presentation.

when i get back in year 11, i have to do a presentation on something i feel strongly about. I chose 'why the government should put more money into mental health services'. but my anxiety levels are already sky high and we're still at the start of the summer holidays. i REALLY cant do this presentation either. i'd much rather do it as like a persuasive writing piece, but i dont know if you are allowed to ask or change it in secondary school? i dont think id even be confident enough to ask anyway.

how can i get out of this presentation????

ReputationRep:
    Getting out of the presentation won't solve anything, it'll just build up your fear and anxiety of doing one even more. Look up YouTube videos of how to get more confident speaking in front of people. Try to think to yourself what it is about the presentation that is so daunting. Practice the presentation in front of a sibling or your parents.
    Remember even if you get through half or a quarter of the presentation in front of your class before breaking down, that's still amazing and shows how far you've come

ReputationRep:
    Getting out of the presentation won't solve anything, it'll just build up your fear and anxiety of doing one even more. Look up YouTube videos of how to get more confident speaking in front of people. Try to think to yourself what it is about the presentation that is so daunting. Practice the presentation in front of a sibling or your parents.
    Remember even if you get through half or a quarter of the presentation in front of your class before breaking down, that's still amazing and shows how far you've come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HollieNR)
    in year 10 we had to do a presentation on anything we wanted. in class when we were preparing them, i had to leave because of a panic attack (i have social/general anxiety) my teacher said i could do it in front of just her. i suffered more panic attacks though and ended up being kept off school because of my mood and anxiety levels. i didn't do that presentation.

when i get back in year 11, i have to do a presentation on something i feel strongly about. I chose 'why the government should put more money into mental health services'. but my anxiety levels are already sky high and we're still at the start of the summer holidays. i REALLY cant do this presentation either. i'd much rather do it as like a persuasive writing piece, but i dont know if you are allowed to ask or change it in secondary school? i dont think id even be confident enough to ask anyway.

Omg this is me. I actually failed my college course last year because I couldn't bring myself to do a presentation, even in front of just a few people. I've always had very low self esteem mind you. Doesn't seem to be improving even when I come to the point where it really has to (finding work)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Omg this is me. I actually failed my college course last year because I couldn't bring myself to do a presentation, even in front of just a few people. I've always had very low self esteem mind you. Doesn't seem to be improving even when I come to the point where it really has to (finding work)

it's so bad, i'd be willing to take a fail. i'd rather fail than have a panic attack in front of everyone trying to do it and failing anyway!!

i really hope your self esteem improves because you're worth it <3

ReputationRep:
    I was in your position in high school - just don't get into the habit of not doing the presentations. Eventually you will HAVE to start taking part, whether that's A level or university or work and it will be 10x worse if you're not used to speaking in front of people. It is horrible but it is well worth doing. Arrange to perform just to your teacher, perhaps with a friend to look after you. Write a really short speech, the bare minimum you can do and get your teacher to really check it over - the aim isn't to do well but to just get through it so you know you can, practice enough that you know the speech. Then try not to think about it from now until the presentation. I always tell myself to do just the next step... I'm not committing to presenting by going to school this week, I'm not committing to presenting by writing a speech etc... in fact until you're actually talking you can walk out/refuse at any minute so you don't need to worry about it. If you change your mind you can get out of it fine. Try and practice anxiety management techniques: mindfulness, breathing techniques, exercise when you're getting overwhelmed, write it down, draw etc. The better you are at controlling your anxiety at home when you're in a safe space the better you will control it in a scary situation.

Remember that this one presentation going horribly has meant this one is much harder - don't get yourself in a cycle by allowing yourself to miss this one as well!

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're planning on digging holes for telegraph poles when you leave school, interacting with the public is something you're going to have to do. I know someone who is terrified of public speaking and who suffers from nervous laughter. She's on a vocational degree programme for becoming a health care professional and she's found out now that she'll be expected to do presentations as part of her professional life. She said to me afterwards "if I'd known that this was let of the job I'd never have started this course". I couldn't help but think, what did you expect? Of course it's part of the job. I have a horrible feeling she's going to drop out of the course. Which is a shame because I do wonder what else she's going to do. Is she just going to plan her whole life around avoiding this one thing or is she going to grow up a bit and get some help? She'll live a more fulfilling life if she gets over it but I think she doesn't see it that way.*

I'm willing to bet you can't get out of this. Sounds like this is going to be your speaking and listening component of your GCSE English Language. You have to do it. No substitutions.

Even if it weren't, I would suggest you take point from that example above. Don't let this take you over. You don't want to end up limiting yourself or the opportunities open to you. If this is a fear, you need to conquer it. *

ReputationRep:
    There is a great book called Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HollieNR)

Try emailing the teacher asking if you can do a written piece on it instead. Explain that how difficult it is for you.

ReputationRep:
    Best to get used to it before doing them actually matters, since there are undoubtedly times in the future you may need to do them.
    Perhaps talk to your teacher, practice with someone you trust etc and build up to doing something. Take some rescue remedy. Get drunk and practice in front of your mirror (lol).
    Wimping out will only cause more issues as others have said above.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.