Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So recently I got a job working at a video game store (franchise).

Ever since joining the new store, I have hated it - I get spoken to like dirt and the manager (who is also owner of the franchise) forces me into making pushy sales to potential customers.

A couple of days ago, some 8yo tried to buy GTA5 (rated 18) and I refused him. (I have witnessed one of those undercover underage buyers police send into supermarkets at my last job - and know how nasty it can turn out)

My manager overheard me refusing to sell the kid the 18rated game and yelled at me. He then asked the child if his dad was with him, and if he was he could sell it. I told my manager I want nothing to do with it - and he got really angry ans shouted at me. (He does this a lot)

Im leaving the job soon anyway and feel like I want to report him. I know proxy sales are not his concern, but if he is regularly making proxy sales, the government class it as underage selling.

Am I right to want to report him? And how do I do this anonymously?

ReputationRep:
    Your shop should have an anonymous whistleblowing policy that employers can use to report wrong doing anonymously. I work at Asda and they have one x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Your shop should have an anonymous whistleblowing policy that employers can use to report wrong doing anonymously. I work at Asda and they have one x
    Its a small store (5 employees) part of a franchise.

Its terrible, no contract, unpaid hours, rota given one day before start of week.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Flying Pig)
    And how do I do this anonymously?
    Why do you need to be anonymous? Just phone Trading Standards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Why do you need to be anonymous? Just phone Trading Standards
    Because I pulled my manager / owner to one side and told him what consequences he could face if he was caught by authorities.

So if I wasn't anonymous it would be pretty obvious who reported it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Pig)
    Because I pulled my manager / owner to one side and told him what consequences he could face if he was caught by authorities.

So if I wasn't anonymous it would be pretty obvious who reported it!!
    It doesnt matter because youre in the right. Your employer should have discussed with you what to do if theres a grievance/wrongdoing at work as every shop has a procedure. I recommend you ask him for the policy and follow through with it, and you have done nothing wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    It doesnt matter because youre in the right. Your employer should have discussed with you what to do if theres a grievance/wrongdoing at work as every shop has a procedure. I recommend you ask him for the policy and follow through with it, and you have done nothing wrong
    There is no such whistleblowing policy

ReputationRep:
    Age restrictions on video games are ridiculous to begin with, to be honest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.