Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've just graduated HS in Portugal (grading system is from 0 to 20). I know what I'm asking for is very difficult, considering differences in the educational systems, but help would be really appreciated. First choice would be Econ/E&M, but, if I'm not competitive enough, I could also consider Economics with something else.

I know LSE considers a 19/20 equivalent to an A*. Hoping Oxford does the same, I did the conversions already.
    My school grades (probably equivalent to gsce) are not the best, mainly due to a very bad start in year 10, and I wonder if I can make up for it with the exams. What do you think?

I know I can apply - Oxford asks for a 18/20 on the HS certificate, and I have a 18,5 which gets rounded to 19/20. My question is whether I can make for a competitive application, as I have to decide between going to college in my home country or waiting to apply to the UK.

School grades:
    Math: 19 (A*)
    Portuguese: 19 (A*)
    English: 20 (A*)
    Physics/Chemistry: 17 (B*)
    Biology/Geology: 17 (B*)
    Biology: 20 (A*)
    Philosophy: 17 (B*)
    Computer software and basic programming (?): 20 (A*)

National exams:
    Math: 19 (A*)
    Portuguese: 19 (A*)
    Physics/Chemistry: 19 (18,5) (A*)
    Biology/Geology: 19 (18,8) (A*)
    English: 20 (19,7) (A*)

ECs:
    Led teams to win:
    - first prize at high school entrepreneurship competition held by major national company
    - award at the national science fair
    - first place in an international science meeting held in Lisbon
    - invitation for an international science fair to be held in Brazil in March (Expo Milset 2017)
    Also did/will do:
    - Toastmasters (started in July)
    - volunteering (prob won't be able to get more than 50 hours)

Am I competitive enough for these places?
    Does not having Econ in high school hurt my chances?

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.