Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was writing my personal statement today and I feel like I don't have enough work experience/extra curricular etc.

Work experience:
    5 days at a nursery
    8 days at another nursery
    9 days at a preschool
    *will be doing work experience at a primary school in September

Volunteering work:
    Helped at my sixth form college's induction day
    Currently spending my summer at a library working with children on their Summer Reading Challege
    *will be applying to volunteer at a charity shop

Extra curricular:
    Had violin lessons for 3 years
    Teaching myself more languages
    Teaching myself the guitar
    During year 8-11 I was part of the school book club

That's all I have so far. Unfortunately my secondary school never did things like D o E so I didn't do it. I know my PS is about "selling myself" and why I want to do this course but I was wondering Is there anything else I can do or take up to improve it? I'm applying for primary education if that makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    I was writing my personal statement today and I feel like I don't have enough work experience/extra curricular etc.

Work experience:
    5 days at a nursery
    8 days at another nursery
    9 days at a preschool
    *will be doing work experience at a primary school in September

Volunteering work:
    Helped at my sixth form college's induction day
    Currently spending my summer at a library working with children on their Summer Reading Challege
    *will be applying to volunteer at a charity shop

Extra curricular:
    Had violin lessons for 3 years
    Teaching myself more languages
    Teaching myself the guitar
    During year 8-11 I was part of the school book club

That's all I have so far. Unfortunately my secondary school never did things like D o E so I didn't do it. Is there anything else I can do or take up to improve it? I'm applying for primary education if that makes any difference.
    For these type of actitvities, focus on those which are relevant to your degree and on what you learned from them.

ReputationRep:
    ageshallnot is right but above all it's ok to not have that much extra-curricular and work experience. I have no work experience that is valid towards my course, and to be honest it is near impossible to find some as it's a science course. My extra-curricular is literally reading, researching, gaming and studying and that is ok, it may sound boring but that is me and I have my reasons and you have yours. You have a lot right there that makes you sound like an interesting person!!

Remember that the PS is to sell yourself, make a story and valid argument about yourself, the course and why you want to do it. It's not a list of thing you have done or wish to do!! remember that and good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Would doing something like tutoring kids be useful?
    I originally thought about doing baby sitting but it doesn't seem that relevant to my degree
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Would doing something like tutoring kids be useful?
    I originally thought about doing baby sitting but it doesn't seem that relevant to my degree
    Tutoring might be a good idea, but as you don't have qualifications past GCSE, it would likely be more suited to family friends etc. rather than something you could openly advertise and charge the same as qualified tutors for. Maybe there is some sort of after school homework club local to you that you could help out at?

One of the things to consider is whether any of your experiences so far have made you aware of challenges associated with primary teaching and whether you might want to demonstrate your awareness of this in your PS. *
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Teaching PSs are different to the standard academic ones. Check out the subject guidance link in my signature with an article on writing teaching PSs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.