Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Convincing my parents solo travel is okay Watch

ReputationRep:
    I could write a massive story about how this post came to be but I'd rather just summarise:

I'm planning on going solo travelling in May, nowhere major just 8 days in America (3 days in New York then a train to Philadelphia for 3 days and then a final train to Washington for 2 days), mainly because I've never been travelling alone before and want to see if I can do it.

That's not the only reason though, I just know solo travel will be much easier to arrange than a group holiday because I only have to worry about myself (getting my own time off work, my own dates, in the hotel I want and do the things I want to do).

I understand that was still a bit long but how can I convince my mum and dad (mum in particular as she worries quite a bit) that solo travelling isn't a bad thing.

Any sort of advice or stories of experience with this sort of thing would be highly appreciated as I REALLY want to do this.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    just curious, how old are you? i'm 19 and recently went to new zealand by myself but i joined a tour whilst over there so wasn't completely alone, probably why my parents weren't too worried so maybe it's something to look into? also a good way of making friends over there but if not, just remind them that the us isn't that different to the uk and it's no more dangerous travelling around there than it is in the uk. also give them a rough schedule of what state you'll be in on what days so that they realise how serious you are about the whole thing and know that you've planned it well. hopefully they'll relax and if you go have an amazing time!!!

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling, my nana, older sister and mother were determined I couldn't go to nyc even with my friend from uni.
    I would recommend to keep talking to them about it to show how determined you are to go and possibly even book it anyway and let them know you are going so they just have to accept the fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverfox44)
    just curious, how old are you? i'm 19 and recently went to new zealand by myself but i joined a tour whilst over there so wasn't completely alone, probably why my parents weren't too worried so maybe it's something to look into? also a good way of making friends over there but if not, just remind them that the us isn't that different to the uk and it's no more dangerous travelling around there than it is in the uk. also give them a rough schedule of what state you'll be in on what days so that they realise how serious you are about the whole thing and know that you've planned it well. hopefully they'll relax and if you go have an amazing time!!!
    I'm 19 but will be 20 when I go, I have looked into tours but honestly I don't really mind being on my own because I'll have complete control of my trip.

I'm a big believer in "everything happens for a reason" and "signs" etc. It probably is a collection of random coincidences but the more I go about my day the more "signs" I'm seeing telling me this is the right decision.

Originally I was just going to go to New York for 5 days because it's been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I was going to do Camp America but thought for a bit more I can go to the states and have fun and not have to work.

Yesterday in work I was flipping through a brochure that was left randomly and saw about the Amtrak programme.

(Original post by joecphillips)
    I know the feeling, my nana, older sister and mother were determined I couldn't go to nyc even with my friend from uni.
    I would recommend to keep talking to them about it to show how determined you are to go and possibly even book it anyway and let them know you are going so they just have to accept the fact.
    I'm dedinitely going to have another few chats with them but each time I have emphasised that "I'm just going to book it _____".

I've also let them know how many people my age have done some solo travelling (it's limited to two examples: a guy I went to sixth form with went to Africa and around Europe for three months and a girl I work with is going to Berlin alone because no one else could afford it and she just wanted to go).

Thank you both for your helpful replies, I've never felt more certain about anything and I want this trip to be the beginning of a new me (one who just travels and has fun - my next trip after the states would definitely be Australia)

ReputationRep:
    if you're 18+, just go.

you'll never fully convince anyone of anything they're fundamentally suspicious of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.