Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to switch to a completely new university a week before results!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since I live on an island which is British overseas territory ( I am from the Cayman Islands) I have already received 3 out of 4 of my results because we did the CIE (Cambridge International Examinations). So my results so far are 3 B's. I am happy with these grades but now I am in a limbo as I want to study law and as these grades are higher than metropolitan schools which I have no desire to go to, they are too low for Russell groups who most likely want minimum of ABB. With these results, they are both below my firm and insurance (AAA and ABB respectively) which has me seriously looking at clearing.

Upon research I stumbled across Newcastle University which I looked at earlier when choosing my original universities which I overlooked because it was a above my league. But now it advertises for people who have ABB to apply for clearing as they will have my course available. It has now become my dream course and I firmly believe that I would have the best experience there although I do like my firm and insurance now.

Anyways, since the rest of the U.K. has not gotten their results, does it make sense to ring them up and ask if they might have a place to get a head start? Would they even consider me with BBB or ask to wait for my final grade on Thursday? Or is the school still out of my league?

ReputationRep:
    PQ - or another moderator - is it worth moving this thread to 'Applications and UCAS', where it might get more responses?

ReputationRep:
    BBB will not likely get you a clearing offer from Newcastle. Its a good university and perfectly respectable for Law, they would maybe offer ABB at the lowest but likely AAB. Their usual offer is AAA.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by PKayla345)
    Since I live on an island which is British overseas territory ( I am from the Cayman Islands) I have already received 3 out of 4 of my results because we did the CIE (Cambridge International Examinations). So my results so far are 3 B's. I am happy with these grades but now I am in a limbo as I want to study law and as these grades are higher than metropolitan schools which I have no desire to go to, they are too low for Russell groups who most likely want minimum of ABB. With these results, they are both below my firm and insurance (AAA and ABB respectively) which has me seriously looking at clearing.

Upon research I stumbled across Newcastle University which I looked at earlier when choosing my original universities which I overlooked because it was a above my league. But now it advertises for people who have ABB to apply for clearing as they will have my course available. It has now become my dream course and I firmly believe that I would have the best experience there although I do like my firm and insurance now.

Anyways, since the rest of the U.K. has not gotten their results, does it make sense to ring them up and ask if they might have a place to get a head start? Would they even consider me with BBB or ask to wait for my final grade on Thursday? Or is the school still out of my league?

Hi

I spotted your post earlier today and wanted to reassure you. We are unable to confirm exactly which courses will be in clearing, how many students we can accept through this process, and what grades they will need, until Thursday (results day in the UK). However, do keep an eye on our website (www.ncl.ac.uk/clearing) and be sure to phone us first thing on the 18th so that we can advise you further. The phone number is 0800 073 5050
    Fingers crossed!

Isabella

ReputationRep:
    So... it turns out that all of my preparation for clearing that I have done for a month was all in vain! I got into my firm choice University of Sheffield. I got back my last grade and it was a D ( everyone in our class got an unfavourable grade and I might remark) but it doesn't matter because i got in and that's all that matters now. Thanks for the support.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.