Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice about self study during the summer holidays?
    I need to know P2 to P6, M1, M2, S2, S3. How long do you think this would take? Any books that you can reccommend? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, that's a lot of work in one summer... That would take a double mathematician two years of work. Maybe 6 hours a day? lol

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend the heniman textbooks for the edexcel specification, I used them to teach myself D1,D2,M6, and to help me with the other modules (P1-6 etc) in lessons. I found them concise, and fairly clear with a large number of examples for almost any kind of question you come across, and plenty of questions!
    If you are doing another specification then, while these will cover the same stuff, it may be arranged in different modules.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend you use the edexcel boards to do OCR syllabus if you're on that, they deviate quite some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    Does anyone have any advice about self study during the summer holidays?
    I need to know P2 to P6, M1, M2, S2, S3. How long do you think this would take? Any books that you can reccommend? Thanks.
    HOLY CRAP! You must be a damned genius/crazy, or a worrying combination of the two! Why would you either need to do that much in one summer? 9 books!

I was skeptical about doing M1-M3, D1 and P3 this summer...

Btw... if anyone has any experience, which is an easier/more interesting option... M3 or S2... I am a physics student, but I am also not sure if I could handle three Mech units if I do F. maths.. As a student I like things that have defined methods and processes for approaching problems, number crunching and such, rather than lots of manipulation. Suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Well, my further maths AS was a shambles. I did D1, S2, P4. P4 I messed up on, it was especially hard as I hadn't done P2 and P3. The other two modules were average. I'm carrying on further maths next year. Two of the compulsory modules are P4 and P5, with the third being either S3 or M2. Obviously I can't start doing the pure modules normally next year, because I'd only have done P1 ( I'm not counting P4, seeing as I knew next to nothing). This means I have to learn every module up to p4 at least before the start of the year. Studying in my own time next year will be hard, so I'm, getting it all out of the way now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching myself AS maths over the summer, with the help of a tutor, and it's going really well. Just tried a stats paper and got an A Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I'm teaching myself AS maths over the summer, with the help of a tutor, and it's going really well. Just tried a stats paper and got an A Yay!
    well done ellie! i knew u cud do it , p3 looks ok too, but im too lazy to do more than 30 minutes a day , already gone through half of the p3 tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    well done ellie! i knew u cud do it , p3 looks ok too, but im too lazy to do more than 30 minutes a day , already gone through half of the p3 tho
    Better than nothing! I'm still on my 4 hours a week, and that's due to increase when I break up from school. Even though everyone says S1s the easiest, I'm still pleased It was a 92% as well! Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but unless you plan to chain yourself to a desk for six weeks you'll never manage that many modules. If you haven't yet tackled P2 I would suggest, with all due respect, that you have no chance of being able to take on some of the harder modules alone. I'm teaching myself S2 and most of P4 over the summer and I consider that a pretty big commitment!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 16, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.