The Student Room Group

House migrants on islands - a la Australia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37072726

Should Europe follow Australia's example?

Scroll to see replies

Which islands shall we put them on?
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Which islands shall we put them on?

You do realise Great Britain is an island, don't you?
Original post by nulli tertius

Of course I do. I assumed your question meant not placing them here but on another island which has the space available for the migrants
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Of course I do. I assumed your question meant not placing them here but on another island which has the space available for the migrants

It wasn't my question
It wasn't my question

Well maybe you should word your questions more clearly in the future then

...but is it in Europe?
Original post by Observatory
...but is it in Europe?

If it isn't, neither are Sicily and Sardinia
Technically we have already done that. A number of refugee families have been placed in the Orkney Islands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34855250
Reply 9

Why even bring Great Britain into this? Other than this being an English based forum, I see no reason to.

The link is from Germany, GB is soon out of the EU and don't really take migrants anyway.

This is a European problem, not a British one.
I'd prefer that the UK doesn't take in any migrants who can't contribute as we've already got a housing crisis, school places crisis, an NHS on the verge of collapse and a benefits bill that is too high.

If we have to then send them to the Shetland/Orkney Islands as far as i'm concerned. If they complain it's obvious that they aren't real "refugees"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
Why even bring Great Britain into this? Other than this being an English based forum, I see no reason to.

The link is from Germany, GB is soon out of the EU and don't really take migrants anyway.

This is a European problem, not a British one.

You would have some difficulty putting half a million migrants on Rugen Hiddensee and Heligoland.
Reply 12
You would have some difficulty putting half a million migrants on Rugen Hiddensee and Heligoland.

What's the difference between a refugee centre completely overcrowded in an overcrowded German city compared to one on an island?

And why not Greenland, lots of space. Very safe. It's just temporary, no, until they can return to their homeland.
One of the islands off the coast of Scotland perhaps. Build a wall around it (and make Mexico pay) and then house them all there.
tbh just stop them from landing on Europe, best way to end a migration crisis is to stop them from migrating.

Rügen is pretty big actually. I think you could house any number of refugees there in crowded camps. But the second home owners might not like it.
Original post by Observatory
Rügen is pretty big actually. I think you could house any number of refugees there in crowded camps. But the second home owners might not like it.

Exactly. Sustaining the migrants just isnt worth ruining Europe and nice little islands, we shoulld stop them from coming.
Original post by MildredMalone
Exactly. Sustaining the migrants just isnt worth ruining Europe and nice little islands, we shoulld stop them from coming.

And how do you plan to stop them from coming? Are you going to place naval vessels around Europe, ordered to shoot boats full of women and children running from conflict?
Original post by alevelstresss
And how do you plan to stop them from coming? Are you going to place naval vessels around Europe, ordered to shoot boats full of women and children running from conflict?

Yeah.
Original post by Laomedeia
Yeah.

good luck with that on the world stage

Quick Reply

Latest