Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay so basically back in early July I advertised on my local towns Facebook group about offering tuition and a mum of one student messaged me and we arranged to have a session. Then I became very ill before the session and even my doctor told me I shouldn't go in contact with anyone outside my family for the next 2 weeks. But I didn't want to tell the mum exactly what I had as it felt personal so I admit it was very last minute but I messaged her saying something like really sorry can't tutor at the moment because of an illness.
    Now I'm much better and can tutor again so I posted on the town Facebook group again and this same mum comments on my post going 'don't trust her we'd arranged sessions with her and she completely let us down' so other people started commenting going 'omg what happened' etc. So basically I bet no one now wants me to tutor them because of what's happened here even though I didn't intentionally cancel on this woman I really was ill!!!
    What do I do?!? I really wanna tutor and!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so basically back in early July I advertised on my local towns Facebook group about offering tuition and a mum of one student messaged me and we arranged to have a session. Then I became very ill before the session and even my doctor told me I shouldn't go in contact with anyone outside my family for the next 2 weeks. But I didn't want to tell the mum exactly what I had as it felt personal so I admit it was very last minute but I messaged her saying something like really sorry can't tutor at the moment because of an illness.
    Now I'm much better and can tutor again so I posted on the town Facebook group again and this same mum comments on my post going 'don't trust her we'd arranged sessions with her and she completely let us down' so other people started commenting going 'omg what happened' etc. So basically I bet no one now wants me to tutor them because of what's happened here even though I didn't intentionally cancel on this woman I really was ill!!!
    Just ignore her negative review, post a very calm and collected response to her saying that you were sorry and it was unfortunate that you became so ill before the tutoring sessions and was advised not to have contact (make it as if you were looking out for their health) and offer to give them a discount on tutoring sessions, this way it shows the community that you value peoples custom and hopefully will be able to turn her opinion on its head.

As a side note you really do have to be careful cancelling on people last minute, it would have been better to keep her updated as soon as you found out you were ill and offer to rearrange the tutoring to a time when you were well again. You kinda did the wrong thing by leaving her high and dry with no tutor.

ReputationRep:
    Just reply to her apologising again and reiterating that you were ill and it was beyond your control, and had been advised not to go out to avoid spreading illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Just ignore her negative review, post a very calm and collected response to her saying that you were sorry and it was unfortunate that you became so ill before the tutoring sessions and was advised not to have contact (make it as if you were looking out for their health) and offer to give them a discount on tutoring sessions, this way it shows the community that you value peoples custom and hopefully will be able to turn her opinion on its head.

As a side note you really do have to be careful cancelling on people last minute, it would have been better to keep her updated as soon as you found out you were ill and offer to rearrange the tutoring to a time when you were well again. You kinda did the wrong thing by leaving her high and dry with no tutor.
    I know!!! It was really bad, I didn't know exactly when I was gonna start tutoring again so didn't want to give her a definitive answer. I replied with an apology but I feel like the damage has been done now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I know!!! It was really bad, I didn't know exactly when I was gonna start tutoring again so didn't want to give her a definitive answer. I replied with an apology but I feel like the damage has been done now
    Unfortunately im afraid it already has, but learn from your mistakes. In business you cant leave clients hanging after they have requested your service, you should have told this lady when you called her ill that you will contact her in a weeks time discussing where to go from here when your better.

I would now just keep plodding along, but sadly your possible students are going to be less likely to chose you now.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to block the woman on Facebook then post it again on the towns Facebook page so she won't see and won't comment on future posts? Then delete this current post which has all the comments on it

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Is it possible to block the woman on Facebook then post it again on the towns Facebook page so she won't see and won't comment on future posts? Then delete this current post which has all the comments on it
    NO! That would look even worse
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    I agree block her now, but dont post it again for a while as you dont want to cause even more fuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I agree block her now, but dont post it again for a while as you dont want to cause even more fuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Won't it be rude to block her?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Won't it be rude to block her?
    Not particularly she spoke badly about you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that don't listen to her and try to ignore it, the last thing you need is to start a fight with her and gain more negative rep

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.