The Student Room Group

Should I bring decks to University?

I am off to university in September (location depends on Thursday) and I am keen to DJ while I'm there. Would it be a good idea to bring decks to uni to establish myself as a DJ, or is it not required. I wouldn't plan to play anything loud or to annoy anyone with music, but I imagine it would be good for flat parties. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

They could get stolen as I know a few people last year who's speakers got stolen. If you did bring it make sure it's insured
Reply 2
Sounds too ambitious. If I were one of your flat mates, I would see it as if you were expecting to be the core of a party.

Just be normal instead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bring them! i know people who do and they do great hall "Boiler Room" sessions. great way to make new friends.
Original post by Wizardyls
I am off to university in September (location depends on Thursday) and I am keen to DJ while I'm there. Would it be a good idea to bring decks to uni to establish myself as a DJ, or is it not required. I wouldn't plan to play anything loud or to annoy anyone with music, but I imagine it would be good for flat parties. Thanks!

You are there to study
It depends if you're any good.
(edited 7 years ago)
On the one hand it could be cool, on the other hand people could see it as you trying too hard and make them roll their eyes. Also I agree it would be risky in case of being stolen. I guess it would depend on how keen you are on it
CD or vinyl?

If the latter then definitely not; you won't have the room and records will get 'lost', broken or otherwise ****ed.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You are there to study

Oh of course; I do hate extra-curicular activities. People at university shouldn't have any hobbies.
Original post by Davalla
Sounds too ambitious. If I were one of your flat mates, I would see it as if you were expecting to be the core of a party.

Just be normal instead.

It's less for the party reason I just thought on a couple occasions in the year it could be a plus to bringing them; the main reason is it's something I really enjoy doing in my free time and I would like to keep up in a new city!
Original post by Pinkberry_y
They could get stolen as I know a few people last year who's speakers got stolen. If you did bring it make sure it's insured

That's good advice, thank you. I will look at insurance before I decide. I would also use Kensington cable locks just to make them a little harder to steal!
Definitely bring some decks.
Go for it! As someone has suggested, make sure you have insurance. I use Endsleigh student insurance for my stuff, including ~£1000 worth of instruments.
Reply 13
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You are there to study

Is he also not allowed to have any fun for the next three years of his life?
Yeah, you never know when someones gonna challenge you to a YU-GI-OH battle...
might be some decks at your uni?
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
CD or vinyl?

If the latter then definitely not; you won't have the room and records will get 'lost', broken or otherwise ****ed.

I'd Pass if they were CDs, Vinyls are the way forward! and they will be way to hard to be stolen
Original post by fei345
I'd Pass if they were CDs, Vinyls are the way forward! and they will be way to hard to be stolen

I have both CDJ and vinyl but with the amount of space decks will take up I'm cautious that I won't have space for vinyls.
Original post by Wizardyls
I have both CDJ and vinyl but with the amount of space decks will take up I'm cautious that I won't have space for vinyls.

you could just give first term or few months a miss? scout the situation and not look like your too edger. then whip them out when you return ? CDJ may be a better option because of space and portability.
Bring them man! Nothing better than finding out someone in the block has some sick beats. Get the party started woop woop!Just, as some have stated, make sure they are properly secured/ insured :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest