Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I were to take music at Durham, which college should I apply to? Castle.... and what else is a good choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musical_shoes)
    If I were to take music at Durham, which college should I apply to? Castle.... and what else is a good choice?
    No teaching takes place in the college so it doesnt matter from the subject point of view, i have a friend whos goin to durham (as am i) who is goin to st aidens and shes doin music, the castle is very oversubscribed partly beacuse of its historic appeal. So any college would be ok, but if you fancy a short walk a baily college would be better; i.e university (castle), chad's, hatfield there are sum more i cant remember

ReputationRep:
    CUTHS

it is by far the friendliest and some may say the best.

actually everyone says that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyBlue)
    CUTHS

it is by far the friendliest and some may say the best.

actually everyone says that.
    Lets not turn this into another round of one-up-man-ship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Lets not turn this into another round of one-up-man-ship
    Yes all colleges are equal, except some are more equal than others

ReputationRep:
    oh come on guys don't be lame, i'm just trying to get some friendly banter into your lives, wait for freshers week then you will know what college rivalry is

we are reps mwahahaha

and incidentally, everyones favourite college is their own obviously, but everyones second favourite is Cuths.....says summat doesn't it?!?

ReputationRep:
    oh come on guys don't be lame, i'm just trying to get some friendly banter into your lives, wait for freshers week then you will know what college rivalry is

we are reps mwahahaha

and incidentally, everyones favourite college is their own obviously, but everyones second favourite is Cuths.....says summat doesn't it?!?
    Not really, and here's the poll to prove it. *grin*

ReputationRep:
    well surely that poll is
    1) where people wish they had applied to
    and
    2) done by people who aren't here yet....so don't really know a lot about the colleges except what they have been told........propaganda is a dangerous thing...

so yeah, it hardly proves anything :P so there hehe

yeah the person doing music, i'd go for a Bailey college cos then at least in your first year you will be close to the department, EVERYONE applies to castle so you may not get in and may get stuck in a hill college, Hatfield....well i wouldn't reccomend it for obvious reasons, Chads and Johns are really cool, and Cuths is wonderful tho you may not get a room on the Bailey (although i think music students tend to, or so i'm told).

ReputationRep:
    well surely that poll is
    1) where people wish they had applied to
    and
    2) done by people who aren't here yet....so don't really know a lot about the colleges except what they have been told........propaganda is a dangerous thing...

so yeah, it hardly proves anything :P so there hehe
    I think that Cuths is great for many students, but not for others. Cuths you could almost compare very well with a non-collegiate university, i.e. more of a chance to escape the "college spirit" that some people don't like. Their bar does rate very highly and is I think one of the greatest selling points. For prospective studensts applying to durham, they may not initially appreciate the extra freedoms that a place like Cuths brings. I assume that Observatory house, the old nursing home and Webster House up in Gilesgate are all self-catering? That can be a great boon for say a music student as to take an example from my 1st year. I play a brass band instrument and was playing in a small colliery band 20miles or so out of town, very near Sunderland. While I could get there and back OK, as they had somebody with a car living in Durham City, I would have to always miss dinner to make it to rehearsals. If I was self-catering I could have just stuck a pizza in the oven as soon as I got in, rather than have to spend money on extra food as well as the prepaid food I was missing.

Others may very well have chosen Durham as they are after the close-knit communities that the colleges provide, and all the communal eating and regime is part of the experience they are seeking. Cuths, while not necessarily a bad choice, would not provide that to the same extent as many of the other colleges. I have just had the option of changing colleges, and seriously considered changing to Cuths, but did not as I didn't think it would be the best way forward as my Senior Tutor has done a lot for me, and I would lose the continuity that re-applying to my original college has brought. Cuths 1st years are far more like 2nd and 3rd years across the rest of the university.

As far as I can tell, at the moment the various rationales for applying to different places appears to be:

Grey: Lazy scientists

Collingwood: Supposedly nice rooms

Mildert: Never used to be popular for some reason. The new block there will hopefully have changed that. Apparently the ducks carry great numbers of applications by themselves.

Aidans: Don't really know. Out of the 4 people I know from Aidans, 3 would consider themselves heavy drinkers. Maybe thats just the people I know though!

Trevs: Used to pride itself on being musical, thats why I applied. Don't know if that still stands. The photo in the prospectus looks good though.

Marys: Usually has low application ratios, and there apparently are many applications rejected by departments from people with poorer predicted grades thinking they stand a better chance of getting in if they apply to Marys. Its odd however that it seems to change people once they get there. Looking at the application figures alone it would have gone mixed years back, but when the students have been asked they all want to keep the status quo. It seems that very few wish to go to Marys, and many don't accept the offer if they are placed there but once into the college they turn out to love the place.

Cuths: See above!

Johns: Self-fulfilling religious focus, but I would rate it very highly (and did so on Shilling's Poll) St Margarets is a great asset to the college and some good friends of mine have lived there. The bar needs more headroom though.

Chads: Additional government funding through its college fees and independant status make Chads a great college. Famed for its Candlemass etc. The bar however is severly lacking. Whoever though that theming it around Little Mermaid needs to be taken out and shot!

Hatfield: What can be said about this place, other than something to do with the pope?

Castle: Attracts the Rahs, like hatfield but personally the people I have met from castle appear to be nicer. Their main problem is that people often get the misconception that everyone lives in the keep, and are severely disappointed upon being presented the keys to their Moatside room. Apparently they are renovating Moatside this summer, I hope stage 1 of the renovation plans reads "Demolish"

Hild-Bede:
    Sports facilites are a big bonus for Hild-Bede, and they attract some of the best. Nice location and very good for getting into town. Often ignored by Scientists due to the distance, but people must bear in mind that livers-out will live out far further than Hild-Bede is from Science Site and Elvet Riverside etc.

I think that is mostly it other than Ustinov, where most postgrads end up. and George Stephenson and John Snow, where I don't believe you get a choice over which college you are placed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    Marys: Usually has low application ratios, and there apparently are many applications rejected by departments from people with poorer predicted grades thinking they stand a better chance of getting in if they apply to Marys.
    Just to clarify though, it isn't easier getting into Durham, just because you apply to an undersubscibed college, is it? - only more likely that you will be taken by your first choice college, once the department has decided to make you an offer......'cause I wouldn't like to think I only made it in, because I happened to apply to Mary's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    Just to clarify though, it isn't easier getting into Durham, just because you apply to an undersubscibed college, is it? - only more likely that you will be taken by your first choice college, once the department has decided to make you an offer......'cause I wouldn't like to think I only made it in, because I happened to apply to Mary's.
    No need to worry about that! People think they stand a better chance by applying to Marys but what happens is that the department will reject them. If they had say applied to Castle they may or may not have got in to castle as colleges take more than academic results into account, but the departments wont compromise their academic integrity to help out any of the colleges. If the department accepts you then you are almost certainly going to get an offer, even if they eventually place you in Cuths and tell you to find your own accomodation.

If you apply to Marys, Cuths, Mildert, Hild-Bede or Grey (as an arts student) then you stand a better chance of being placed in your chosen college assuming the department accepts you. The department wont consider your application any different to say somebody applying to Castle, or Hatfield, or Collingwood etc.

ReputationRep:
    What's with grey and scientists?
    Lolz... and it's so unfortunate that I applied to Johns without realising how strong the religious aspect of it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    What's with grey and scientists?
    Lolz... and it's so unfortunate that I applied to Johns without realising how strong the religious aspect of it was.
    Grey college is practically built on the science site. You are looking at say a 3 minute walk to lectures!

As for Johns, the religious apect is there, but no problem for people. As I said earlier, if it can accept a Satanist socially, then there must be no problems there.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean that castle and hatfield and other bailey colleges have less science people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    Does that mean that castle and hatfield and other bailey colleges have less science people?
    No, each college has a quota of people it should take from each subject

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.