Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! I received my IB results a month ago and got 44. My subjects were HL Maths, History, Economics, SL French B, English Lang-Lit, Physics.

I am considering taking a gap year and applying to Cambridge to read computer science for 2017. Could anybody give me advice?

What skills and traits would help me to stand out in an interview, and how can I prepare for one? Am I at a disadvantage in that I have not studied Computer Science since GCSE? What steps can I take now to bolster my application? What are my chances of being pooled (given my IB results) if my interview doesn't work out?

Thanks for all the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingocean)
    Hey all! I received my IB results a month ago and got 44. My subjects were HL Maths, History, Economics, SL French B, English Lang-Lit, Physics.

I am considering taking a gap year and applying to Cambridge to read computer science for 2017. Could anybody give me advice?

What skills and traits would help me to stand out in an interview, and how can I prepare for one? Am I at a disadvantage in that I have not studied Computer Science since GCSE? What steps can I take now to bolster my application? What are my chances of being pooled (given my IB results) if my interview doesn't work out?

Thanks for all the help!
    Try asking a Cambridge admissions tutor directly here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4238242

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Try asking a Cambridge admissions tutor directly here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4238242
    Ahh thank you. Don't often use the student room so thanks for showing me

ReputationRep:

Thanks for all the help!
    Wow such nice grades you got!! Good job!

Maybe you could find a job at the IT centre or devote your time to super curricular activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    Wow such nice grades you got!! Good job!

Maybe you could find a job at the IT centre or devote your time to super curricular activities.
    Thank you for the kind words! Yes if I do take a gap year I will definitively look for work in IT.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for all the help!
    Any formal computer science teaching is generally sniffed at from personal experience. Best advice would be to make a phone app or something similar that you can learn a load doing and talk about in interviews and personal statements. I showed one of the apps i made in one of my interviews and talked about the algorithms I was using and techniques I had come across, which seemed to go down quite well.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for all the help!
    They ask you math questions & some logic questions and that's it. I've been asked 5 questions and that was the end of interview. I have never studied computer science in my school, just have a limited knowledge about python. But nevertheless it was all fine, so I would say don't try to study computer science but just concentrate on your mathematical skills. I had predicted 44 as well with math/econ/phx at HL like you, so at least you will be interviewed I would say.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and always remember that the interview in an essence is a mock-supervision, what you will be doing every week when you get in. So remember to speak out your thoughts and feel free to ask for hints (I did a couple of times). If you get the right answer from the hint and show them the process of thinking, they will think that you are a student who is worth to teach.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for all the help!
    My interviews (Churchill) were entirely technical in that there were no soft questions like "what do you like about our course?", but they didn't require any deep mathematical knowledge. I think the Computer Science and Philosophy questions on the Oxf*rd MAT are good practice (although a bit more mathematical), and the sample questions on the Oxf*rd website are pretty similar to what I got asked. You also need to prepare for the CSAT.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the support! These are all great tips!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.