The Student Room Group

What jobs can I do with pure maths undergraduate degree?

I've applied for pure maths at aston and birmingham
I was thinking of switching to maths and finance but neither does it
What jobs can I do straight away with my degree? And I mean with no internship
And teaching is out of the question, I hate teenagers
Both unis do a post graduate degree with computer science
I only scraped a C in computer science at GCSE(highest anyone got was B)
I did biology, chemistry and ,maths at A level. I'm predicting I will get BBB but not too sure
Can someone give me my prospects with a undergraduate pure maths degree and one with post graduate with computer sciemce if I can do it
Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
bump:h:
Reply 2
Pretty much any job, unless it's research and math focused, most companies would take you with any outstanding degree.
Reply 3
Human calculator?
Original post by ,L,
bump:h:

Out of interest, what do you know about what pure maths involves at university?

It's important not to forget internships/placement years - it's not just your degree and classification that matter, but relevant experience too! If possible you should be doing such things in the summer and maybe even a placement year.
Original post by ,L,
I've applied for pure maths at aston and birmingham
I was thinking of switching to maths and finance but neither does it
What jobs can I do straight away with my degree? And I mean with no internship
And teaching is out of the question, I hate teenagers
Both unis do a post graduate degree with computer science
I only scraped a C in computer science at GCSE(highest anyone got was B)
I did biology, chemistry and ,maths at A level. I'm predicting I will get BBB but not too sure
Can someone give me my prospects with an undergraduate pure maths degree and one with post graduate with computer science if I can do it
Much appreciated :smile:

Depends on what you want to do and where you want to go, however, STEM degrees and a-levels are highly sort for/preferred in the workplace; however, that doesn't mean that you will get a job or you're entitled. But it will make you a competitor!! :smile::smile::yep::yep:
Reply 6
You could get an IT job even without doing the post graduate with computer science degree. Most IT jobs require a good STEM degree - not necessarily a computer science degree. So your career prospects in both scenarios are roughly the same I'd say.

And don't be put off by getting a C in computer science at GCSE! Your maths degree will be what employers will notice - you'll be well suited for an IT job with it :smile:

Teaching and academia (if you want to do a PhD) are other options too.
Reply 7
Original post by JC52
You could get an IT job even without doing the post graduate with computer science degree. Most IT jobs require a good STEM degree - not necessarily a computer science degree. So your career prospects in both scenarios are roughly the same I'd say.

And don't be put off by getting a C in computer science at GCSE! Your maths degree will be what employers will notice - you'll be well suited for an IT job with it :smile:

Teaching and academia (if you want to do a PhD) are other options too.

Could i do a maths and computer science course? What would it involve?
If i do get a job in the it sector what kind ofmroles would i be fulfilling, wouldnt i need an understanding of computer science
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Out of interest, what do you know about what pure maths involves at university?

It's important not to forget internships/placement years - it's not just your degree and classification that matter, but relevant experience too! If possible you should be doing such things in the summer and maybe even a placement year.

Depends on the university.aston has finance within their pure maths course. Generally its calculus, algebra, statistics.

Just want a desk job really
Reply 9
You'll be able to apply for some jobs in engineering.
Should you not research the career prospects of a degree before applying?
Reply 11
You could get onto graduate finance schemes and train to be a chartered accountant bearing in mind it will be competitive, you can work in tax, pensions, statistics for example government statistical service and management. There are a lots options, I have just stated a few. Of course a placement or internship will definitely help you stand out more but you should still have a chance without it.
Original post by ,L,
Depends on the university.aston has finance within their pure maths course. Generally its calculus, algebra, statistics.

Just want a desk job really

Good answer. It's pretty important to know what you'll be studying for 3+ years, and algebra/analysis isn't to everyone's taste. Certainly isn't mine :lol:

You must have a broad area in which you want to do some kind of desk job, no? If you don't know then that's fine, still some time to figure it out. The one thing I would say though is that you will probably struggle without any kind of experience (like I said, internships/even a year long placement) to secure a job, and even then you need other skills to stand out.
Reply 13
Original post by ,L,
Could i do a maths and computer science course? What would it involve?
If i do get a job in the it sector what kind ofmroles would i be fulfilling, wouldnt i need an understanding of computer science

Yeah you could definitely do a maths and computer science course! Your A-Levels are biology, chemistry and maths, which are very strong subjects. I don't think I've ever seen a "maths/physics and computer science" degree which required A-Level ICT or anything like that. If you're good at maths then you'll likely be a good programmer :smile:

There are so many different jobs in IT - lots of different roles - and with a good maths degree you will be eligible for a lot of them. I have seen very few graduate IT jobs which strictly required a degree in computer science, the vast majority want a STEM degree. You don't need lots of computer science knowledge, because that's something you can learn on the job - what's more important is aptitude, and a good STEM degree shows you have that. Having some knowledge of programming will be useful for interviews, but you can pick that up.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest