Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student (high 2:1 in Accounting and Finance) graduated in a Russell group uni this year. I am planning to study MSc Finance at CASS in this September.

However, I have no relevant internship experience in banking and finance ... where I spent most of my time in school societies ... gaining leader position) and volunteering.

What is the chance to get a permanent job in finance? Will Big 4 an ''easier'' option for me?

And finally, what sort of things I should do during the year at CASS to increase my chance to land a job (CFA level 1/2 or Distinction in Master Degree)?

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is it you want to do? IBD? Trading? What?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mhf201)
    I am an international student (high 2:1 in Accounting and Finance) graduated in a Russell group uni this year. I am planning to study MSc Finance at CASS in this September.However, I have no relevant internship experience in banking and finance ... where I spent most of my time in school societies ... gaining leader position) and volunteering.What is the chance to get a permanent job in finance? Will Big 4 an ''easier'' option for me? And finally, what sort of things I should do during the year at CASS to increase my chance to land a job (CFA level 1/2 or Distinction in Master Degree)?
    You've not told us any relevant information. What do you want to do? What experience do you have? Why are you doing an MFin when you have no idea (from what it seems) what you want to do? Why would the big4 help you?

Bonus Q: why didn't you land (I'm assuming you applied) any internships?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You've not told us any relevant information. What do you want to do? What experience do you have? Why are you doing an MFin when you have no idea (from what it seems) what you want to do? Why would the big4 help you?

Bonus Q: why didn't you land (I'm assuming you applied) any internships?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am interested in portfolio management. In my final year, I did my undergraduate research project on comparing / evaluating the performance of US market index using different trading strategies. I applied the Bloomberg Investment Challenge but failed. Moreover, the school offered me some Bloomberg Terminal training in market research. I am quite confident using Excel (plus VBA). I was offered as an Research Assistant Intern in business school (operation research) this year. I failed to complete the intern because of visa restriction (the visa on expired passport is not sufficient evidence to work in UK).

During my first two years, I have serval leading positions in school clubs and student council because I believe that transferable skills are important. In my first two years in undergraduate, I didn't plan for my career very well and I never knew that insight events / interns / placements are so crucial until the end my second year. (And I started attending company presentations, started looking at Efinancialcareer in my final year)

The reason for me to do the master is to strength my profile (studying for master / CFA) and give me more time to plan for my career (finding jobs, applying jobs) over the year.

I think there are finance divisions within the Big 4 like dealing / financial services and I believe it is less competitive as banks.

ReputationRep:
    apply everywhere gl
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mhf201)
    I am interested in portfolio management. In my final year, I did my undergraduate research project on comparing / evaluating the performance of US market index using different trading strategies. I applied the Bloomberg Investment Challenge but failed. Moreover, the school offered me some Bloomberg Terminal training in market research. I am quite confident using Excel (plus VBA). I was offered as an Research Assistant Intern in business school (operation research) this year. I failed to complete the intern because of visa restriction (the visa on expired passport is not sufficient evidence to work in UK).

During my first two years, I have serval leading positions in school clubs and student council because I believe that transferable skills are important. In my first two years in undergraduate, I didn't plan for my career very well and I never knew that insight events / interns / placements are so crucial until the end my second year. (And I started attending company presentations, started looking at Efinancialcareer in my final year)

The reason for me to do the master is to strength my profile (studying for master / CFA) and give me more time to plan for my career (finding jobs, applying jobs) over the year.

I think there are finance divisions within the Big 4 like dealing / financial services and I believe it is less competitive as banks.
    Given all of this info, I don't see why you can't just apply to asset management firms/asset management arms of investment banks straight away? You seem like you have a decent shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.