Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Is it necessary to have a MFL at GCSE level to gain university entrance for a science degree ?

    Brief answer: no. It's a good GCSE to have, but not necessary for anything except (possibly) proceeding to an MFL A level. The exception to this is UCL, which likes that all its applicants have at least a grade C in a modern language GCSE (or they must undertake a special language course once they get there).

    (Original post by MersennePrime)
    Yes, it is. The person above me is lying. Most Russel Group universities require that you have at least 1 MFL. The other universities do not require it, but do highly recommend it.
    With the best will in the world, I believe that's nonsense. Unless you can come up with some more concrete examples of Russel Group universities other than UCL (whose consideration of such a GCSE can be found here) explicitly requiring a GCSE in a modern language, I am led to believe that it is the only one. I haven't been able to find any others.

    Yes, it's a great subject to have, and if the OP were to ask my opinion I would highly recommend taking one on. Yes, universities do consider them highly. No, in the vast majority of cases they are not necessary for undergraduate entry.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.