Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I have not yet embarked in undergraduate study at university yet as I am currently in Sixth Form. I plan on studying Biomedical Science.

    After a bachelors, can you go straight into doing a Masters degree, or is it better to get a job (i.e a lab assistant) to earn some money first or does it not really matter?
    I think I'd like to do the MSc in something like Cancer Research.

    The same goes for PhD. Do you get paid a salary during PhD research or is it just money to go towards the tuition fees?
    I've heard UK citizens get about £15k per year but that's not a lot compared to other graduate science salaries. Or, are PhDs part-time courses and then they do part-time work as a scientist as well, for example?

    To be honest, I would like to just work in a (well established) university, or a hospital lab perhaps, doing research and would like to get a PhD.

    Many thanks in advance.

    At the moment you can get a £10,000 loan for Masters courses. However, they don't give you another loan for your tuition fees so that £10,000 has to cover tuition fees and living costs. One of my friends wants to do a MSc next year in Bioinformatics and the tuition fees are around £9,600 so she has £400 to live on for the year unless she can get a part-time job or another loan.

    Masters courses aren't usually paid, but PhD places are usually* paid (*it depends where you'd go and what you'd want to do). When you do a PhD you are pretty much working as a scientist and helping with real world research, you're just writing papers on it and being examined while you do it. Masters can be like that as well, but they can also be like an undergraduate degree. It depends what you chose!

    You can also do Masters+PhD courses. These aren't as common, but you will usually get paid to work somewhere while you do your Masters and PhD at the same place on the same subject. They're really good if you can get a place on one in a subject you like.

    After your undergraduate degree you can have a think about what you would like to do. I wanted to go straight onto a Msc/PhD when I started my degree, but now I have one year left I kind of want a break and to get a job!
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

    Quick Link:

    Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.