Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend isn't sure about relationship.....should I end it? watch

My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half. Before we got together, we were friends for a year but he'd always liked me. The first year of our relationship was great, I loved him very much and I knew he loved me.

However, in May we broke up for just under two months. He said he loved me more than he'd loved anyone but he'd grown unsure of the relationship and our future. During our break up we kept in contact until I decided to go no contact so I could get over him, and a week later he got in touch telling me he wanted to make it work.

He went on holiday a couple of weeks ago, which was the first time he'd taken any time of work in 7 months. He is also looking for a new job because he has started to hate his current one and I thought once he came back from holiday and had chance to relax things would be much better.

Things have been good, but I asked him about us earlier today and he told me he loves me and loves being back with me, he still feels uncertain about our future. I do love him, but I'm getting to the point where**I don''t know how long I can stay with someone who isn't sure about me. I feel if he is still unsure about how he feels about me then he will never be sure. The thought of breaking up with him breaks my heart but I don't know how much longer I can hold on like this

What should I do?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What should I do?*
    Talk with him some more about things, then go with your gut - you owe it to yourself, we only get one life

ReputationRep:
    You need to dig deeper about his uncertainty and his future with you, you need to find why he is worried.

Is it because he thinks things will get worse? Because he might want to move on? Maybe he's fearful that you'll hurt him like another girl once did? Or maybe he's just unsure as you two went through a breakup period and he might think the next will be a final?

Once you've found the cause of his worry, you can move on from that point and try to make things better. He might not open up about it, but in my opinion thats the best shot you've got to try and fix things and make it so you can enjoy your relationship without the thought of your future.
    Hope this helps Anon.

ReputationRep:
    Make your feelings known. Ask why he's unsure, and see if it can be resolved. There's no need to be hasty about anything, but he shouldn't keep you hanging like that maybe he doesn't realise that it's hurting you

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to find out what exactly he is unsure about - it could be he can't let go but doesn't love you or it could be he is scared of commitment/confused which can be dealt with and then tell him he needs to sort his head out and make a decision about what he wants (whether that a relationship, friendship or nothing) because it's not fair to leave you wondering

(Original post by doodle_333)
    I think you need to find out what exactly he is unsure about - it could be he can't let go but doesn't love you or it could be he is scared of commitment/confused which can be dealt with and then tell him he needs to sort his head out and make a decision about what he wants (whether that a relationship, friendship or nothing) because it's not fair to leave you wondering
    I think he's unsure about a lot of things atm. He hates his job and is searching for a new one and he desperately wants to move out of his parent's house. I don't doubt he loves me, but I think the issue lies in the fact that's he's unhappy about a lot of things in his life atm. I've slept on it and decided to give it a month or so and see how things progress.*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.