Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, ive just finished my 2nd year at uni in Nottingham. Just before the end of the academic year we were asked to submit a dissertation propsal form (a rough idea of what our dissertation was to be, reading, etc) Mine was pretty much blank, and revolved around the idea of War or something (I really cant remember!)

I really really am struggling with an idea. I hate the course, I hate the uni, im very miserable there and I just wanna get the final year over with. Im not dropping out, Im gonna finish. But i need help.

The only types of books I like to read/study include World War literature, Sexuality literature (men and women, homosexuals, lesbians, conflictions with identity etc) and to be honest thats about it... Nothing else really hooks me.

Can anyone give me a few decent, solid suggestions regarding my dissertation idea? I need to start reading asap. Any texts u can recommend too would be great!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kim Cox)
    The only types of books I like to read/study include World War literature, Sexuality literature (men and women, homosexuals, lesbians, conflictions with identity etc) and to be honest thats about it... Nothing else really hooks me.
    Hmm, how about just throwing it all together and writing on something along the lines of 'The Portrayal of Homosexuality and Establishing of Gender Identities in World War Literature'?:dontknow: Or is there no such thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmm, how about just throwing it all together and writing on something along the lines of 'The Portrayal of Homosexuality and Establishing of Gender Identities in World War Literature'?:dontknow: Or is there no such thing?
    Of course there is:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Actually funnily enough that sounds along the lines of what I proposed, you've just jogged my memory. Im just wondering though whether putting the two ideas together will work... ARE there any texts I could use as evidence for homosexuality in war? I can kind of think of a direction to take gender identities perhaps but not sure...

ReputationRep:
    Seem to recall Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy could be helpful with that, but it's been a looooong time since I read it so don't flame me if I'm wrong

Sounds like a good topic to me, good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    Ive read Regeneration... at the start of the 2nd year. I can lift a 'take' on identities in crisis perhaps, not so much the homosexual or sexuality crisis issues though...

Thanks so far guys!

ReputationRep:
    Try these links to get your thought processes going:
    http://www.glbtq.com/literature/eng_lit6_20c,3.html
    http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/jtap...ames;read=3004

remember plagiarism is bad kids :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    This book is on the reading list for the World War I module my department offers:

Caesar, Adrian, Taking it Like a Man: Suffering, Sexuality and the War Poets (Manchester. Manchester University Press. 1993)

Maybe it would be some use...

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou both so much, Im going to spend some time going over those suggestions. All i need is a push, it helps me stay motivated in a course I am miserable with.

I really do appreciate it. Your so kind

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome
    Out of interest, what's wrong with the course at Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    Its at Nott Trent. I just dont enjoy it... I guess a lot of it is down to me... Ive just not enjoyed my uni experience at all.I loved english at school/a-level but now the enjoyment seems to have been sucked out of it for me. I left school thinking about going on to be an english teacher. Ive since abandoned that, and I long for a career as a paramedic. (as a child it was always a toss up between teaching and medicine.) Im basically here so as not to disappoint my parents. Ive already disapointed them by telling them im gay. I dont want another period of shame!

But anyway... only a year left. Then i can start doing things for ME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim Cox)
    Its at Nott Trent. I just dont enjoy it... I guess a lot of it is down to me... Ive just not enjoyed my uni experience at all.I loved english at school/a-level but now the enjoyment seems to have been sucked out of it for me. I left school thinking about going on to be an english teacher. Ive since abandoned that, and I long for a career as a paramedic. (as a child it was always a toss up between teaching and medicine.) Im basically here so as not to disappoint my parents. Ive already disapointed them by telling them im gay. I dont want another period of shame!

But anyway... only a year left. Then i can start doing things for ME
    That's completely how I feel - believe me, you're not the only English student to have ever felt that.
    Yeah, just chug along and get through it then you can get on with being a paramedic and sitting in all the vans with the flashy lights and loud noises

ReputationRep:
    Hehe i cant wait - just thinking about helping people and saving lives everyday makes me smile. Lets nail this degree in the ASS grrrr :cool:

Right with regards to the help you've all offered me so far, Ive written it all down, researched a bit, and Ive sent a long email to my disserttion supervisor to see what she thinks. I dont wanna fall behind with this thing... I can deal *just about* with last minute stress and pressure and all nighters and working until 2 mins before the deadlne of coursework but I REFUSE to do that for something so time-consuming and important to my grade.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 17, 2007

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.