Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could someone tell me what are the important dates for this academic year? i don't even know when i'm supposed to start uni

ReputationRep:
    In another thread someone said that accommodation opens around Wednesday 19th September, Fresher's week starts Monday 24th, lectures start October 1st. Not sure if this is correct or not, or if it applies to everybody though.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/regis/sfs/dates/index.html

ReputationRep:
    ah thank you, looked everywhere for this.

19th of septembre??? i don't get back from holiday till the 19th, in the evening too

ReputationRep:
    19th September is the first day you can move into residences, but you don't have to. You can move in up until the Sunday, and the appropriate people will be around (i.e. the people who issue your keys, doctors to sign up to etc).

ReputationRep:
    yeah thanks, phoned up and the lady said it was any time from the 19th onwards, and no particular "peak" period.

ReputationRep:
    Is the sunday (23rd Sept) the very latest that you can move in? Couldnt you move in on the mon (24th)??

ReputationRep:
    i can't remember, but i think she said it was ok for the 24th.

just ring up cardiff uni and ask for accomodation offices.

ReputationRep:
    Not many people moved in on the Wednesday last year, there was about 2 people in the whole of the house.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i was really excited last year and moved in on the wed. No one was in my flat or on my floor. Most people moved in fri onwards.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it really sucked.

ReputationRep:
    I may go up on the Wednesday to get my key, have a nose around and maybe put a few things in my room. Then if i'm on my own i can just go home and come back on the weekend i suppose.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    guys, when do the winter holidays start?

in fact, when are the half terms etc? and how long are they?

ReputationRep:
    Semester dates for 2007/8 can be found here.

Unfortunately, you don't get half term at university! Depending on your subject, you might get a reading week around week 6, but not all departments have a reading week and different departments don't necessarily have them at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silvernatasha)
    Semester dates for 2007/8 can be found here.

Unfortunately, you don't get half term at university! Depending on your subject, you might get a reading week around week 6, but not all departments have a reading week and different departments don't necessarily have them at the same time.
    Does English get one?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. English usually has theirs in week six, so you get five weeks of lectures, a week off and then another five, basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silvernatasha)
    Yes. English usually has theirs in week six, so you get five weeks of lectures, a week off and then another five, basically.
    Sweet. I hope Cultural Criticism gets one too.

ReputationRep:
    I never did Cult Crit, but I'm pretty sure they had theirs at the same time as it's the same department. When I was in first year, English and Medieval & Renaissance Lit had their at the same time (obviously), but JOMEC had theirs a different week, which was annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Oh good, I plan on doing Medieval and Renaissance Lit as my third subject. Looks like I'll have a nice clear week in November.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Cult Crit is in the same week as English lit

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.