Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm Jen, 29 and I live in Northern Ireland. I didn't go to uni first time round, got decent A levels but decided to become a youth worker instead, then I became a play therapist and moved to London for seven years where I worked in play therapy with children with autism and had the time of my life. Got made redundant last year so moved home but have worked alongside OTs for years as a play therapist and have applied to do a Occupational Therapy at Brunel uni and Therapeutic Psychology at University of Roehampton. I know these areas very well and am itching to get back to London. What are the odds of my being offered a place? Also, I'll be 30 by the time the courses start, will I stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of 18 year olds?! Any advice welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennymck86)
    Hi all, I'm Jen, 29 and I live in Northern Ireland. I didn't go to uni first time round, got decent A levels but decided to become a youth worker instead, then I became a play therapist and moved to London for seven years where I worked in play therapy with children with autism and had the time of my life. Got made redundant last year so moved home but have worked alongside OTs for years as a play therapist and have applied to do a Occupational Therapy at Brunel uni and Therapeutic Psychology at University of Roehampton. I know these areas very well and am itching to get back to London. What are the odds of my being offered a place? Also, I'll be 30 by the time the courses start, will I stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of 18 year olds?! Any advice welcome!
    I didn't study OT however I can offer the following which may offer some reassurance:
    From what I understand, vocational courses like OT tend to have a more mixed age range. OT is also the sort of course where you really have to have a more mature attitude, you have less opportunity to go out drinking all night, turn up hungover or not at all and placements are a big commitment. So I would imagine that the age gap is less noticeable. Obviously this could vary by cohort though but this is my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jen,

I myself haven't studied Occupational Therapy but I am a mature student and might be able to reassure you about returning to study at a later age. From my experience universities really value mature students as they are seen as a refreshing change from the typical 18 year old who tends to be more interested in going out and getting drunk everynight (not to stereotype though!) Experience really does count - and as you've mentioned working with OT's in the past I can't see this as hindering your progress at all. In fact it looks really good that you have this under your belt. I can only speak to you about university in the north as I currently study outside of London but I think that you have the ability and drive to do the subjects your passionate about. Don't give up on your dreams and remember to focus on your personal experience working alongside OT's and what you have learnt from this in your UCAS personal statement. All the best to you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies guys, I got my unconditional offer for Therapeutic Psychology at Roehampton through tonight so that's great, however my heart really is set on OT at Brunel so I hope they get in touch with me soon!

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaaand just been rejected by Brunel, course oversubscribed gutted. But think I might go for roehampton anyway. Every cloud eh!

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaaand just been rejected by Brunel, course oversubscribed gutted. But think I might go for roehampton anyway. Every cloud eh!
    Genuinely think you should go for Roehampton! Might not have been the Uni of your dreams but you might come to find that you really really like it there. Good luck, I hope all goes well (:

ReputationRep:
    You had a lucky escape. I found the support for mature students really horrific at Brunel.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.