Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am embarking on the AAT course after studying Accounting at school to A Level.

This was quite a while ago and I found that I have forgotten a lot! But it is coming back to me. I was given a Level 1 book and I went through it in about one hour. I was going to sign up for classroom studies to do Level 2, but I am now thinking that maybe I could go through Level 2 myself (say in a month?) and then join Level 3 for the classroom stuff? I am really determined and am ready to study hard to try and do Level 3 in half a year and maybe even Level 4 in 6-9 months after that...

Could someone tell me how AAT Levels 2 and 3 compare to the school exams? Would it be right to say that Level 2 is like GCSE and Level 3 is like A-Level?

And to get onto Level 3 do you have to already have passed the Level 2 exam or is demonstrating the knowledge enough? I am prepared to take the exam after self-study, if needed.

ReputationRep:
    You can start level 3 without level 2- the AAT don't care (or at least this was the case 3-4 years ago, things might have changed since then). I came from a totally non-accounting background and started with level 2, which I found useful. But my work changed the scheme the following year and the new starters (also from non-accounting backgrounds) started straight on level 3. They both did fine- one failed a couple of exams but admitted this was more to do with lack of effort on their part.

I'd say don't waste time/money on level 2, even the exams. Just refresh your knowledge using some textbooks and start straight on level 3. You can do level 3 in 6 months no problem. Level 4 took me 10 months but it totally depends on how you get on with the project- that can set you back ages!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the post. That is just what I have decided today after consulting with people at First Tuition.

I looked at Level 2 and, although I need to refresh my memory, I would have been bored if I had signed up for a full course in Level 2.

So I am going to self-study the two book-keeping courses in Level 2 and hopefully start Level 3 about a month from now.

Even Level 3 does not seem so intense or anything beyond what I learnt at school. It covers a lot and goes into good detail, so it really prepares you, I see. So I can agree with you that Level 3 is a good place to start -- after making sure I know Level 2, of course....

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.