Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have not done further maths at A-level and so I am really worried as I am doing a course which is 75% Maths. Is University Maths really difficult or can you always get it as long as you put the work in?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by John323)
    I have not done further maths at A-level and so I am really worried as I am doing a course which is 75% Maths. Is University Maths really difficult or can you always get it as long as you put the work in?
    If your uni doesn't require further maths then they will go through it with everyone at the start so everyone is at the same level. You could buy the FP1 text book and work through that over summer if you are still worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John323)
    As mentioned above, you won't be expected to know FM content if it wasn't an entry requirement.

About 50% of the students on my maths course had knowledge beyond just A-level (it was mainly non-UK students who'd done more advanced maths in school, tbh). The lecturers only expected knowledge from maths a-level though, and taught everything else as if it was new. I never noticed a significant divide between me and my friends who did FM after the first couple of weeks.

Generally, uni maths is really different to A-level and I found that just having a maths A-level and then working hard once I started uni was fine. If you really want to do some preparation though, I would recommend looking over:- matrices, especially multiplication of 2x2 and 3x3 matrices- the idea of what a complex number is- rearranging difficult equations (LOTS of my coursemates really struggle with this, so make sure you know all the usual tricks)
    - completing the square (again, very simple but for some reason loads of people - me included - constantly forget how to do this at uni)

Also, you'd probably find it useful to go ahead and memorise the parts of the A-level formula sheet that you use often (common trig identities, integrals etc.). I have yet to be given a formula sheet at uni, they just expect you to know.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My own experience was completely the same as bluebeetle's. I actually found that some further maths students got a little complacent at the very start (revision for them). If you go to lectures, work hard on all the problem sets, and are not afraid to ask questions in tutorials, you will be absolutely fine.

I personally think there is a big step up in teaching quality- the first year undergrad lecturers, especially the popular fundamentals courses, are usually very good, and who have a much deeper grasp of the key concepts than your average A-level teacher.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.