The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yeah if you like. Tbh, especially being online, I'll rush moves and probs make ridiculous mistakes as usual. My play is, I think, usually below my understanding. So don't expect to not win quickly. :colonhash:

Dw I do the same and understand better than I play. The reason for that is certainly either lack of practice or not taking enough time with moves (or both).
Online we can play unlimited (not tournament or anything, just a casual game) so that we both have loads of time to think.
Original post by Forum User
I'll play you if you like too. Just tag me if you want a game (I'm about 2000 rated).

Woah nice. Yeah it's very late today but would like a game with a strong opponent, could learn a lot from it :smile:. Tomorrow I should be able to.
I think I should stop trying to play this variant

anti.png

i look forward to playing you in a future round, if we get that far?

The problem with antichess is that there is so much theory. For example, if white plays 1. d3, black already has a forced win. If you're playing against 1900 players then they may well know some of the forcing lines.
(edited 7 years ago)
The problem with antichess is that there is so much theory. For example, if white plays 1. d3, black already has a forced win. If you're playing against 1900 players then they may well know some of the forcing lines.

what does antichess even mean>?
Original post by john2054
what does antichess even mean>?

You might know it as 'suicide chess', that's what it used to be called back when I played a lot.

It's a variant where if you can make a capture you must do so (you can choose which capture to make if you have a choice), and you win the game if you have no pieces left, or if you get stalemated. The king is just another piece and there are no checks or checkmates.
You might know it as 'suicide chess', that's what it used to be called back when I played a lot.

It's a variant where if you can make a capture you must do so (you can choose which capture to make if you have a choice), and you win the game if you have no pieces left, or if you get stalemated. The king is just another piece and there are no checks or checkmates.

Oh, we called that draughts in my day :wink:
Oh, we called that draughts in my day :wink:

same principle applies in draughts i think. i'm not going to start playing it though. I have enough trouble playing and winning the normal variation lol!

Indeed the margins for error have seemed much smaller. I just don't seem to have been able to use my knowledge of normal chess to cultivate understanding in antichess at all, whereas with something like three-check, much less drastically different, I can quickly get to grips with some of the new tactical details. It feels basically like it has nothing in common with chess apart from the pieces moving the same way.
Atomic chess is maybe even stupider but I won a couple lol
same principle applies in draughts i think. i'm not going to start playing it though. I have enough trouble playing and winning the normal variation lol!

Yes in draughts captures are forced but the point is in antichess you want to lose all your pieces, as opposed to capturing all the enemy pieces like in draughts
Indeed the margins for error have seemed much smaller. I just don't seem to have been able to use my knowledge of normal chess to cultivate understanding in antichess at all, whereas with something like three-check, much less drastically different, I can quickly get to grips with some of the new tactical details. It feels basically like it has nothing in common with chess apart from the pieces moving the same way.
Atomic chess is maybe even stupider but I won a couple lol

If you want a fun variant, I think Crazyhouse is the best.
If you want a fun variant, I think Crazyhouse is the best.

Yeah I've played a little bit crazyhouse. Currently 3 wins to 9 losses so not quite so emphatic. Stresses me out though with all the pieces to keep track of lol, find three-check a bit more easy to handle.
Original post by The Sexathlete
So you talk like this to more than one girl?
Yeh should question your sources better than you're currently doing. Please don't waste my time no life.
Yeah I've played a little bit crazyhouse. Currently 3 wins to 9 losses so not quite so emphatic. Stresses me out though with all the pieces to keep track of lol, find three-check a bit more easy to handle.

Racing kings looks pretty fun lol.
Just played a great game with a great finish :smile:

https://en.lichess.org/NDvIjZPT/black#0

I did mention that lichess ratings were quite inflated, 1800 is actually not that strong on lichess (either that or I'm better than 1700).
I did make one fairly bad mistake though.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Yeh should question your sources better than you're currently doing. Please don't waste my time no life.

You're asking for another screenshot boy.
lol at my move 9 on here (horrible 10|0 game, loads of mistakes, blunders, inaccuracies, the whole shebang, only won because my opponent went nuts with king at the end)
https://en.lichess.org/JQI8tmOq/white#16

somehow seeing the king drawing tactic while missing the fact that their knight was entirely hanging..
lol at my move 9 on here (horrible 10|0 game, loads of mistakes, blunders, inaccuracies, the whole shebang, only won because my opponent went nuts with king at the end)

somehow seeing the king drawing tactic while missing the fact that their knight was entirely hanging..

lol u sure u weren't playing me :tongue:

Actually I wouldn't call your game horrible at all, it was very principled accurate play from your part except for missing the hanging knight (but the couple of tactics were still quite nice), especially since a lot of 1600ish players on lichess completely disregard opening principles etc. lol (heck, they do it up to about 1900).

Quick Reply

Latest