Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Left a job with no notice (retail) just wondering if they could do anything bad? and yes it is bad that I have done his but one of the main reasons is that they wouldn't let me take my overtime days off (despite saying I'd be in for my contracted days) to see a dying family member (lives 200-300 miles away so would want to be there for 3-4 days at least) and also some days I would cry before making my way to work /sobstoryover

Anyway what's the worst they could do? (I know they could sue, but I doubt they would as it was an entry level job in retail..)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The worst they can do is either give you a 'neutral' reference or decline to give a reference at all which would speak for itself. So just don't use them as a reference when applying for future roles.

For more help and advice, check out the Careers and Jobs section.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    The worst they can do is either give you a 'neutral' reference or decline to give a reference at all which would speak for itself. So just don't use them as a reference when applying for future roles.

For more help and advice, check out the Careers and Jobs section.
    They can actually provide a reference as long as its not defamatory.

I'd agree that they shouldnt be used for a reference.

OP probably nothing will happen. You might find you have trouble for any money they owe you.

ReputationRep:
    Respect to you for walking out on them. Heartless *******s. I agree with the other posters on this thread but I totally respect what you have done and why.

Wishing you and yours well.*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    They can actually provide a reference as long as its not defamatory.

I'd agree that they shouldnt be used for a reference.

OP probably nothing will happen. You might find you have trouble for any money they owe you.
    Yep, that's true. I'd advise not using them as one just in case.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Yep, that's true. I'd advise not using them as one just in case.
    So a neutral reference wasnt the worst they could do. Anyway we agree on the other points.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    So a neutral reference wasnt the worst they could do. Anyway we agree on the other points.
    Nah, had 'neutral' in quotes for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Left a job with no notice (retail) just wondering if they could do anything bad? and yes it is bad that I have done his but one of the main reasons is that they wouldn't let me take my overtime days off (despite saying I'd be in for my contracted days) to see a dying family member (lives 200-300 miles away so would want to be there for 3-4 days at least) and also some days I would cry before making my way to work /sobstoryover

Anyway what's the worst they could do? (I know they could sue, but I doubt they would as it was an entry level job in retail..)
    As others have said if you were to use them as a reference they can tell your potential new employer that you left without giving notice, which wouldn't make you look very good. It is also possible that they will withhold your latest pay check.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.