Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour,
    I looked around a bit for a thread that might answer this question but didnt find anything (unsurprisingly). My situation is a bit complicated.. Applied to med in the UK during my last year of secondary school, slipped up at the interview stage and ended up with no offers. Instead of taking a gap year and reapplying decided to go study internationally in Canada on a general science course and have now narrowed it down to pharma. I now know more than ever that med is where I want to be and so thought I could save myself time by cutting my current degree short and reapplying for 2017 entry back in the UK (I have only done one year of uni so will have completed two years by septemeber 2017). I have emailed every med school in the UK asking what they think and almost all of them have said I need to finish my degree and apply in my final year with my predicted score from my degree. Dundee however said I should give it a shot because they might still consider me. I don't know whether or not its a good idea to disregard what the admissions people have said and apply anyway just in case, I thought maybe because my degree is non UK that I might be able to slip through the net. I'm english and hold a UK passport so I wouldnt be applying as an international student. Anyone have any ideas!? Any help will be much appreciated !!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be safest to apply now, and if you don't get in, then just finish your degree and reapply. Don't quit your degree before securing a place though - it would really suck if you did that and then later found out that you aren't a competitive applicant because of it. Good luck
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by UgotSkoold)
    Bonjour,
    I looked around a bit for a thread that might answer this question but didnt find anything (unsurprisingly). My situation is a bit complicated.. Applied to med in the UK during my last year of secondary school, slipped up at the interview stage and ended up with no offers. Instead of taking a gap year and reapplying decided to go study internationally in Canada on a general science course and have now narrowed it down to pharma. I now know more than ever that med is where I want to be and so thought I could save myself time by cutting my current degree short and reapplying for 2017 entry back in the UK (I have only done one year of uni so will have completed two years by septemeber 2017). I have emailed every med school in the UK asking what they think and almost all of them have said I need to finish my degree and apply in my final year with my predicted score from my degree. Dundee however said I should give it a shot because they might still consider me. I don't know whether or not its a good idea to disregard what the admissions people have said and apply anyway just in case, I thought maybe because my degree is non UK that I might be able to slip through the net. I'm english and hold a UK passport so I wouldnt be applying as an international student. Anyone have any ideas!? Any help will be much appreciated !!!!
    Why Canada? I'm assuming money isn't an option but if you want to aim for medicine why not study here.

Only start a degree if you intend to finish it. There are no shortcuts, no transfers home. You're now stuck completing that degree. You'll be able to apply in your final year, but no sooner. It would be a waste of time and money and would definitely be unsuccessful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Why Canada? I'm assuming money isn't an option but if you want to aim for medicine why not study here.

Only start a degree if you intend to finish it. There are no shortcuts, no transfers home. You're now stuck completing that degree. You'll be able to apply in your final year, but no sooner. It would be a waste of time and money and would definitely be unsuccessful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    THanks for te reply forestcat. Studying in Canada is considerably cheaper for me than staying in the UK, I also like to see new places too! I'm curious why you think I would definitely be unsuccessful? Of course I don't want to go through the lengthy application process if its going to be a waste of time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by UgotSkoold)
    THanks for te reply forestcat. Studying in Canada is considerably cheaper for me than staying in the UK, I also like to see new places too! I'm curious why you think I would definitely be unsuccessful? Of course I don't want to go through the lengthy application process if its going to be a waste of time.
    Because as you've found no where accepts applications from people part way through their degree. It would just mean automatic rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.