Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I want to apply for Modern Languages (French, Spanish and Russian) at St Andrews and I was hoping someone could tell me what to put in my personal statement that would help me stand out/be picked.

Any examples from anyone who's got in?

What do St Andrews look for?

ReputationRep:
    Just digging mine out of the depths of my computer for you....

I wrote a (short) anecdote about when I was in Germany, why I wanted to study German, a small paragraph about German literature I had read and why it interested me, then went on to talk about my hobbies for a few lines (things like DofE etc that weren't anywhere else on the form) then about my gap year in Germany.

Most important is to show your motivation for your subject (maybe with examples of things you have done/are doing) why you want to study languages, why you are suited to it maybe, and to be as natural as possible, to sell yourself. There's no point filling it with jokes if you aren't normally the class clown, it will be obvious to whoever is reading it that it isn't the "real" you and it won't get you far.

Hope that helps, I know writing a PS can seem tough, but it is worth getting it right, it counts for a lot. (Don't stress over it though, it also isn't the be all and end all of your application!)

Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much, that was helpful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 20, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.