Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that with a pre paid oyster card if you hit the price of a day travelcard then you don't pay any more that day no matter how many journeys you take after that? Does any one have any idea what I'm on about?

ReputationRep:
    hmm
    well when i went london last with my oyster, i nearly got fined..
    wasnt my fault, stupid man telling me the wrong place to go
    but i think its stupid how you can get fined that easily, i took about 3 different journeys, and put a tenner on
    and i had 56p left, an tried getting out of the tube station...
    they could at least say ' could you put some more money on your card'
    not 'were going to have to charge you'

im not sure about the price of a day one...
    that would be good, depending on the price

ReputationRep:
    A day travelcard is about 7 quid or roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    It's called price capping. Yes, it's true; you will never pay more than the price of a daily travelcard or bus pass.

ReputationRep:
    Thats pretty good. I'm thinking about when I first get down there, my grans giving me some starter money so putting about 60 quid on an oyster card. I don't know how much I'll be using it as I'm living on campus so I don't want to get a month or week one or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Pre-paid oyster cards are brilliant, it's so much cheaper on buses etc with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paeony)
    Pre-paid oyster cards are brilliant, it's so much cheaper on buses etc with them.
    They are brilliant only if you know how they work or else you are in the doghouse

ReputationRep:
    A 1 day Adult Travelcard (Zones 1-4) currently costs £5.40

ReputationRep:
    Is that peak or offpeak.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that's offpeak - I live in zone 6 and a peak travelcard is something ridiculous like £12, offpeak is nearer £7.

ReputationRep:
    Pre-paids are really bad in my opinion. For a start you don't get the normal student discount for pre-pay for some reason which I have yet to fathom. You also cannot pay an exact amount only £5, £10 etc which inevitably leaves you with some amount on your card that you cannot spend. Finally, it bugs me that you cannot buy a single ticket on your Oyster and again I cannot fathom why not.

ReputationRep:
    Pre-pay is useful though if you aren't likely neding a day or weekly travelcard, for example if you're just going to be using it for odd bus journeys etc. I'd imagine that you don't get the student discount on that because bus fares are already heavily discounted if you use oyster - you only pay £1.50 (or is it £1?) for a £2 journey (or, if you're only going to be taking buses, you can buy books of bus tickets which work out to be the same price as a prepay oyster).

I didn't really use mine for daily and weekly travelcards so I don't really know about that.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    You also cannot pay an exact amount only £5, £10
    Err, yes you can.

Finally, it bugs me that you cannot buy a single ticket on your Oyster and again I cannot fathom why not.
    Why on earth would you want to? A single ticket is £4. On Oyster, you pay £1.50 for the same thing. Put £1.50 on your Oyster card and you have your "single ticket." What is the problem?

ReputationRep:
    bus on oyster is £1 going back down to 80p in january

oyster caps at £4.90 i think. buying at a ticket machine is £5.40

if you live near a national rail station and need a travelcard use your young persons, it's £4.80

student oyster is 1/3 off. so a weekly travelcard (with all day travel) 1-4 is £23.20

you can pay any amount onto your oyster. the machines at the tube stations let you, and most newsagents i go to let you too

ReputationRep:
    You can only add any amount with cash though.

You can't add like £6.60 with your debit/credit card.

Pre-Paid oysters would be so much better if they had a weekly cap, where if you make a few unexpected journeys in a week that you didn't plan you only spent the amount of a weekly travelcard, but that'd never happen.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm pretty sure you can. Just not at the machines.

ReputationRep:
    Re: adding exact amounts.

The machine at my local tube station doesn't allow exact amounts and there is very rarely a man at the ticket counter precisely because there is a machine. That amounts to forcing me to top-up a fixed amount.

Re: Oyster discout.

Is it really a discount with the oyster? I didn't follow things closely but a couple of years ago a bus ticket cost £1 in cash. It now costs £2 cash and £1 on the Oyster card. Is that a discount on the card or are you actually paying extra for using cash?

ReputationRep:
    well if you're using a debit then it's not like you're using the last of your change to top up so you can get home... you might as well top up the fiver cause then you're gonna use it another time anyway

if you really all dislike oyster so much why don't you just pay cash fares!! the whole concept is that you pay in advance which you are rewarded for in the sense of discounts/not penilised for using cash.

in a few years apparently there's going to be student discount on prepay as well as weekly tickets. there's a group on facebook about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)
    well if you're using a debit then it's not like you're using the last of your change to top up so you can get home... you might as well top up the fiver cause then you're gonna use it another time anyway

if you really all dislike oyster so much why don't you just pay cash fares!! the whole concept is that you pay in advance which you are rewarded for in the sense of discounts/not penilised for using cash.

in a few years apparently there's going to be student discount on prepay as well as weekly tickets. there's a group on facebook about it
    That's good news.

Also, does anyone know what happens to the £3 "deposit" you pay for a normal Oyster card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minelli)
    Is it true that with a pre paid oyster card if you hit the price of a day travelcard then you don't pay any more that day no matter how many journeys you take after that? Does any one have any idea what I'm on about?
    Yes. In fact you pay 50p less than a paper ticket.

I.e. Zones 1 and 2 travelcard normally costs £5.20, so the cap is £4.70, Zones 1-4 travelcard is £5.70, and the cap is £5.20. You get the idea.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 23, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.