Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How easy would it be to get your first job at 18, part time, say in a shop or something, if you have no previous jobs at that late age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    How easy would it be to get your first job at 18, part time, say in a shop or something, if you have no previous jobs at that late age?
    I am in the same boat as you actually, and it is quite difficult believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    It's not me, it's my friend, but any advice welcome! Who do you use as referees?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Same here....without experience....its really hard to find a job!

G

ReputationRep:
    It's not me, it's my friend, but any advice welcome! Who do you use as referees?!
    I am using a teacher and a reverand.

ReputationRep:
    hmm so how hard is it gona be to get a job when at uni :confused: cuz i aint had ne experience at all yet!

ReputationRep:
    i also may have that prob when i get to uni. although i am touring temp agencies tomorrow so if i manage to get something i won't be totally inexperienced.worried wont even be good enough to get any data adminstrating. i think i am the only one out of all my friends who has never had a proper job. i've done some stuff at home via my dad like checking his marking (professional exams), stuffing envelopes, & couple of times in a charity shop but no actual paid outside work. i quit my job at sainsburys on the training day!! they were trying to get me to work loads, they wanted me to start the next day when i didnt even get the tills & i wasnt sure i had the time anyway (i had loads of school work at the time, plus i was a season ticket holder at ipswich which takes up nearly whole day on saturday match).
    damn i wish i had just got a job! i did try for about a month at the beg of yr12, which is when i got the sainsburys job & had an interview at holland&barrett (didnt get it).gave up after am stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I've had no jobs either! I have applied for a few...I used my college tutor as a referee and my brother's business. (hehehee...)But the problem is..I don't think I can honestly be bothered. It's not like I'm desperate for the cash or something. (Though I'm sure the situation will change when I start uni!)

ReputationRep:
    i'm 18 now, and got a proper job (admittedly a one year contract, but I'm fairly certain they would have renewed it if i wasn't going off to uni soon) in January in the Department for Work and Pensions, with just a telephone interview.

it's quite a good idea applying for lower level civil service jobs - they don't require much pre-requisite knowledge, the time is flexible, and the pay (12k ish) is good for a school leaver.

although now that Gordon Brown's announced his budget, DWP places are quite hard to come by. one could try some of the other departments.

ReputationRep:
    i'm on a whopping 5.90 an hour

ReputationRep:
    temp agencies are ok, but they're not the best way forward - your admin & secretarial skills (Microsoft Office, typing etc) need to be really high, and still you only get calls every few weeks, just when you've made an arrangement for that particular day.

a lot of companies don't like temp agencies anyway, since they can charge double of what a normal admin person costs (the agency charges about £10-£12 an hour, of which you earn £5.60 or similar).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I know it's not much help now, but it is really easy to get a job with little or no experience at Christmas. And then once you've got your first job you've got experience!

ReputationRep:
    ive been lookin for a job for a year, and i couldnt find anythin at that age untill....i once walked in without uniform and got a job, i mean it was strange, everytime i walked in an interview dressed up with a suit and triewd to act higher than myself i never got the job, and everytime i was dressed moderatly and was myself i got the job!!!

so i say that you should act normal dress moderatly and at 18 nothin should stop you from gettin work, visit a few agencies, see what they can do for ya, and all the best in finding a job

ReputationRep:
    I got a job in Tesco, I am 17 without any previous experience and at the interview they don't ask any searching questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    I got a job in Tesco, I am 17 without any previous experience and at the interview they don't ask any searching questions.

What did Tesco ask you mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    What did Tesco ask you mate?
    Apart from your details, you have to be able to discuss the importance of team work. They also provide you with a few what if question for example if you were working and somebody asked you were to find a product, what would you do.

ReputationRep:

You have two options. Either you try to apply to shops, I started at Woolworths!! Or become a temp. I have only been turned down at one interview because of the fact I was at school till 5:15 every evening and on Saturday mornings. Out of a total of three interviews, I dont think that is so bad!!

For references I use my Dad's ex wife and one of my mums friends who has known me my entire life!!

Experience is not needed when working at this level generally and Temping will provide you with lots of it!! :cool:

As for jobs in the Govt. I am temping in the Highways Agency and have been for a year. Its a good gig if you can get it!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I did voluntary work for 3 months when it became clear that I couldn't find any paid jobs for the summer before leaving for uni.

Best thing I ever did..it was great fun and made me SO much more employable after that it wasn't even funny. It would have been nice to have made a few £s from that summers work but then at the same time I considered it investment in my future - as it was I would only have been sat round all day doing nothing so I helped out a charity and they helped out my employable skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I did voluntary work for 3 months when it became clear that I couldn't find any paid jobs for the summer before leaving for uni.
    same here, I got my job at KFC as a result of my voluntary work, I'm still continuing it though when I can (Voluntary)

ReputationRep:
    why the hell is 18 late for a job?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.