Turn on thread page Beta

First job at 18? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and i've had three jobs and worked a total of 14 hrs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    I'm 18 and i've had three jobs and worked a total of 14 hrs!
    wtf, how does that work out? what u worked about 4 hrs in each and got fired?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj styles)
    wtf, how does that work out? what u worked about 4 hrs in each and got fired?
    I did 7hrs in a club, then quit cos i didnt have the stamina to work 7pm till 3am regularly, then i got a job at a hotel which i quit before it started and then i got a job at mcdonalds i have worked 7hrs in 2 shifts and i'm about to quit!

ReputationRep:
    work 7pm till 3am regularly,
    Thats not 7hrs but u get the idea

ReputationRep:
    any advice on wen to apply, where to apply? u reckon theres any vacancies in the gym

ReputationRep:
    I did 7hrs in a club, then quit cos i didnt have the stamina to work 7pm till 3am regularly, then i got a job at a hotel which i quit before it started and then i got a job at mcdonalds i have worked 7hrs in 2 shifts and i'm about to quit!
    Why are you quitting McDonalds so soon? Do they treat you like s*** or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Why are you quitting McDonalds so soon? Do they treat you like s*** or something?
    Well, yes and no, the people are all really nice but i hate the work, i hate having nothing to do and not knowing what to do i dont like being burnt and i stink when i get home, it takes at least 2 showers to get the smell out of me + they only gave me 7 hrs work in a fortnight

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes and no, the people are all really nice but i hate the work, i hate having nothing to do and not knowing what to do i dont like being burnt and i stink when i get home, it takes at least 2 showers to get the smell out of me + they only gave me 7 hrs work in a fortnight
    Ah i see!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone... okay, a more general question: Which jobs CAN you do with no or little experience at 18? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    Hey everyone... okay a more general question: Which jobs CAN you do with no or little experienceat 18? :confused:
    Well, I guess this'll probly vary a bit from place to place but generally those 'Saturday' jobs you see advertised in shop windows (Woolworths/card shops etc. etc) and other stuff like work at MacDonald's and Tescos.

I started off with a paper round when I was 14. Got a job waitering when I was 15 through contacts. Got a job in a sweets shop (hmmm... staff discount!). Next one was MacDonald's. Now I'm at Tescos....

I've never really had a prob with experience lol, coz I've always worked since 13 I suppose if you count the paper round.

I really do think 18 is a little late for a first job but that's just me personally - I have quite a few friends who don't work but then again I think it really depends on your background. Most of the mates I have that don't work are pretty well off and just get money of their parents. Mine could never afford to give me pocket money so it was either work or you can't go out/to the cinema/bowling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    I really do think 18 is a little late for a first job
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Why?
    I don't think it is at all, quite a lot of the people I knw have never had any sort of job before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    I don't think it is at all, quite a lot of the people I knw have never had any sort of job before.
    I've never had a job and i'm 18 in *counts* about 4 months. It's just that i see this time of my life as a chance to just chill and relax, do what i want etc, not work in some stuffy supermarket. There's plenty of time for work later in life! BUT i probably will get a job either very soon OR after i've finished my A2s next summer so i can earn some money for university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Why?
    I duno, it's just the way I see things personally. I'm not very dependant on my parents really and I'd hate to have to ask them for money and to pay for things like school trips. It's not like we're struggling financially anymore either, but when I was younger we really were, so I got a paper round and I've worked since. I still hate asking my parents for money. My little bro is totally different about it tho coz he's used to getting stuff off them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I've never had a job and i'm 18 in *counts* about 4 months. It's just that i see this time of my life as a chance to just chill and relax, do what i want etc, not work in some stuffy supermarket. There's plenty of time for work later in life! BUT i probably will get a job either very soon OR after i've finished my A2s next summer so i can earn some money for university.
    It's not too late at all. Most jobs will give you a trial period with no experience, and then that's your chance to show them how great you are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    show them how great you are!
    or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    I duno, it's just the way I see things personally. I'm not very dependant on my parents really and I'd hate to have to ask them for money and to pay for things like school trips.
    I know how you feel...the people who like to put off work as late as possible can usually afford to. But it's better to start at any age than not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    I know how you feel...the people who like to put off work as late as possible can usually afford to. But it's better to start at any age than not at all.
    Yeah, it's not like I think everyone should be a workaholic but for me, well, it was never really that much of a choice. Either I couldn't afford to do anything/buy anything or I worked for my cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    I don't come from a well off family, we are definitely below average earnings-wise, especially as my mum only works part time for a few hours a day. But my dad won't let me pay for things like school trips and books etc, he says it's his sort of role if you like, until i leave school. Sometimes i do think that maybe if they refused to pay for certain things then i'd be more independent and stuff though, because i'd be forced to get a job. But they sometimes say to me "why don't you go out and get a little job?" but they don't actually help me with it or anything. I'm quite shy so i don't really know what to say if i just walk into a shop or something. And the thought of an interview scares me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I don't come from a well off family, we are definitely below average earnings-wise, especially as my mum only works part time for a few hours a day. But my dad won't let me pay for things like school trips and books etc, he says it's his sort of role if you like, until i leave school. Sometimes i do think that maybe if they refused to pay for certain things then i'd be more independent and stuff though, because i'd be forced to get a job. But they sometimes say to me "why don't you go out and get a little job?" but they don't actually help me with it or anything. I'm quite shy so i don't really know what to say if i just walk into a shop or something. And the thought of an interview scares me!!
    Interviews are pretty bad, but what's worse is first approaching somebody to ask if they have any vacancies. I think though, that if you had to go for the interview and get past it you'd probably be a better employee than 90% of the ones that work there. Expectations really aren't all that high for a 17 year-old. Unless you're temping or something.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.