Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Oxford Brookes in September and I'm debating to buy freshers week passes. However, I'm 17 and I only want to go to the events hosted by Brookes and not the real clubs because I know I have no chance in getting in :O I was wondering if I could just use my student ID for the events hosted by Brookes? I mean it says on the event page "Photo & Student ID required" but I'm just making sure they're not gonna ask for real ID. Don't want £30 going down the drain

ReputationRep:
    If it says photo and student ID they'll likely ask for both. Could try just your student ID but it may have "UNDER 18" plastered across it. I'd say take the risk and hope you get in on your student ID.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Angemae09)
    I'm going to Oxford Brookes in September and I'm debating to buy freshers week passes. However, I'm 17 and I only want to go to the events hosted by Brookes and not the real clubs because I know I have no chance in getting in :O I was wondering if I could just use my student ID for the events hosted by Brookes? I mean it says on the event page "Photo & Student ID required" but I'm just making sure they're not gonna ask for real ID. Don't want £30 going down the drain
    They'll ask for ID.

And the Freshers for Brookes are hosted by real clubs across the city centre in Oxf. You won't stand a chance. Some clubs during Freshers only needed your writstband or the ticket to get in. But others asked for ID. But no doubt they'll ask for ID.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there, great to hear you're coming to Brookes in September

The Brookes Union freshers' event are indeed hosted by venues in the city so the usual rules apply there.

Don't worry though - there'll still be plenty of stuff happening during Freshers' week which you can get involved in. My tip would be head to the Freshers' Fair on the Friday and sign up for some societies you're interested in. Easy way to meet new people.

Give us a shout if you have any questions about starting.

Otherwise - see you next month! Dana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
    Hi there, great to hear you're coming to Brookes in September

The Brookes Union freshers' event are indeed hosted by venues in the city so the usual rules apply there.

Don't worry though - there'll still be plenty of stuff happening during Freshers' week which you can get involved in. My tip would be head to the Freshers' Fair on the Friday and sign up for some societies you're interested in. Easy way to meet new people.

Give us a shout if you have any questions about starting.

Otherwise - see you next month! Dana
    Hi!

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I understand that there are two freshers passes, the official wristband and the safari pass. Some of the other universities allow 17 year olds in their freshers event for the week but aren't allowed alcohol, which is completely understandable. So I was just wondering if Brookes has a similar policy for the Safari pass?

Thanks in advance!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi!

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I understand that there are two freshers passes, the official wristband and the safari pass. Some of the other universities allow 17 year olds in their freshers event for the week but aren't allowed alcohol, which is completely understandable. So I was just wondering if Brookes has a similar policy for the Safari pass?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi again,

The official Brookes Freshers nights are being run by the Ox - and they are strictly limited to 18 years+. There are other unofficial events that are happening during the week in Oxford but I don't know of any that allow under 18s, sorry. I'd just say though - there are still loads of other ways you can have an awesome week and meet loads of people. Are you going to be staying in student halls? or are you planning to join any sports clubs or societies?

Dana

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

The official Brookes Freshers nights are being run by the Ox - and they are strictly limited to 18 years+. There are other unofficial events that are happening during the week in Oxford but I don't know of any that allow under 18s, sorry. I'd just say though - there are still loads of other ways you can have an awesome week and meet loads of people. Are you going to be staying in student halls? or are you planning to join any sports clubs or societies?

Dana
    Oh well
    Yes, I'm staying in Clive Booth and I'm looking forward to join the rugby team.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Dana
    Hi Dana,

Are there other events that's aren't clubbing/nightclub based during freshers? I know that freshers' fair is towards the end of the week but is there anything else like that during the week?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by needle_point)
    Hi Dana,

Are there other events that's aren't clubbing/nightclub based during freshers? I know that freshers' fair is towards the end of the week but is there anything else like that during the week?
    Hi there,

Yes, the Freshers' Fair is on the Friday but the student societies often run different events during the week. Depending on what you're interested in then you might want to check out some of those. I've just checked and it looks like they haven't posted yet what's happening when - but check out the Student Union pages nearer the time.

There's also some general workshops, campus tours and stuff to help you settle in. More info about this is on our new student webpages. Of course, there's also the main enrolment and subject induction for your course which you need to do - but where you can always meet the other people on your course

Are you living in halls? Are you new to Oxford? If so, my recommendation for induction week is to grab a couple of your friendly new flatmates and explore the city. Being a old city there are lots of little lanes, nice hidden sports and shortcuts around the city so definitely worth spending some time to just wander around exploring.

See you here soon

Dana

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.