Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I graduated last summer and I don't know what to do with my life. Please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I graduated last summer with a law degree with first class honours from a London university, searched for all sorts of jobs after graduation for 6 months and couldn't secure any. I didn't intend to qualify as legal practitioner and I wanted to depart from law after graduation. I've got some experience in my CV - I have had over 6 short-term unpaid positions in legal, admin and marketing. I moved back in with my parents at the beginning of this year because we couldn't afford paying exorbitant London rent in vain, and I stopped looking for jobs because there aren't any decent ones locally where I live and I'd be overqualified for some jobs and I wouldn't know what jobs to apply for. Going to the careers centre at the university several times didn't help much. All I got was CV feedback and they simply told me my CV and cover letters look great so there wasn't any problem with my way of applying for jobs. After spending over 6 months back home, not only do I feel frustrated, depressed and utterly demoralised, but I also don't know where to go and what to do from now on. I tried looking for jobs on the internet and I registered on many (if not all) careers websites, but all I got was scam job offer emails (the kind where the job involves money laundering). I would like to do a Masters in another field, to change my career prospects, but I don't have money for tuition and I wouldn't know what Masters to start. Getting a minimum wage job to save money for a Masters doesn't work, because I've tried it and some of my friends tried it unsuccessfully. I would very much like to work abroad, because it's the only way I could afford to travel abroad, so I signed up for AIESEC but most jobs abroad they advertise are in IT (coding and stuff) and teaching (which I can't do).
    I literally don't know what to do! I hate being a millennial because everything seems so difficult to achieve and expectations are sky-higher than they used to. A single job isn't enough to pay rent and food and transportation anymore.
    I would like to write and research for a living, be part of creative projects, I'm attracted to arts in my spare time, I'm really bohemian in thinking, but I'm aware all these won't take me anywhere in life, at least not where there is money to make. I have no connections, no way to prove my creative side for work purposes. I feel trapped in a vicious circle. My parents have always told me to study and get top grades, but I did all that and look where I am now! They didn't encourage me to do anything other than study hard subjects, which is very ironic since my mother gave up singing to become an accountant because of her restrictive parents.
    I am at a loss and I don't know where to look for help! I'm still 22 but I feel like my time is running faster than it should.
    Please give me any advice you can think of! Anything would be appreciated!
    Thank you for taking time to read everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rri14)
    I graduated last summer with a law degree with first class honours from a London university, searched for all sorts of jobs after graduation for 6 months and couldn't secure any. I didn't intend to qualify as legal practitioner and I wanted to depart from law after graduation. I've got some experience in my CV - I have had over 6 short-term unpaid positions in legal, admin and marketing. I moved back in with my parents at the beginning of this year because we couldn't afford paying exorbitant London rent in vain, and I stopped looking for jobs because there aren't any decent ones locally where I live and I'd be overqualified for some jobs and I wouldn't know what jobs to apply for. Going to the careers centre at the university several times didn't help much. All I got was CV feedback and they simply told me my CV and cover letters look great so there wasn't any problem with my way of applying for jobs. After spending over 6 months back home, not only do I feel frustrated, depressed and utterly demoralised, but I also don't know where to go and what to do from now on. I tried looking for jobs on the internet and I registered on many (if not all) careers websites, but all I got was scam job offer emails (the kind where the job involves money laundering). I would like to do a Masters in another field, to change my career prospects, but I don't have money for tuition and I wouldn't know what Masters to start. Getting a minimum wage job to save money for a Masters doesn't work, because I've tried it and some of my friends tried it unsuccessfully. I would very much like to work abroad, because it's the only way I could afford to travel abroad, so I signed up for AIESEC but most jobs abroad they advertise are in IT (coding and stuff) and teaching (which I can't do).
    I literally don't know what to do! I hate being a millennial because everything seems so difficult to achieve and expectations are sky-higher than they used to. A single job isn't enough to pay rent and food and transportation anymore.
    I would like to write and research for a living, be part of creative projects, I'm attracted to arts in my spare time, I'm really bohemian in thinking, but I'm aware all these won't take me anywhere in life, at least not where there is money to make. I have no connections, no way to prove my creative side for work purposes. I feel trapped in a vicious circle. My parents have always told me to study and get top grades, but I did all that and look where I am now! They didn't encourage me to do anything other than study hard subjects, which is very ironic since my mother gave up singing to become an accountant because of her restrictive parents.
    I am at a loss and I don't know where to look for help! I'm still 22 but I feel like my time is running faster than it should.
    You could start by getting a part time job in something straight forward like libraries or retail to get a bit of money coming in and to get you out the house. Then you could volunteer in lots of different sectors to find out what you're passionate about. You can actually make quite a bit of money in the arts if you go into the right section with the right attitude. What sort of creative stuff is it you enjoy doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    You could start by getting a part time job in something straight forward like libraries or retail to get a bit of money coming in and to get you out the house. Then you could volunteer in lots of different sectors to find out what you're passionate about. You can actually make quite a bit of money in the arts if you go into the right section with the right attitude. What sort of creative stuff is it you enjoy doing?
    Thanks for replying! I worked as library assistant for a few weeks and didn't enjoy it, especially after I found out you now need a degree to be a librarian. I tried to find a job in retail but I always got rejected on the basis that I didn't have customer service experience. Also, I wouldn't want to work in retail because I have friends who worked in retail and they told me it's the worst kind of work they ever had.
    I can't volunteer because it's all I've done in the last 4 years and I'm sick of not being paid. And now I would need to move out and pay rent to volunteer somewhere. I live in a f*cking village - I mean, my folks do.
    I don't know, I enjoy writing (I've done some short writing for online publications at uni), coming up with ideas, editing. I can't draw or paint or arty stuff like that unfortunately. But everyone who looks at my CV and sees only law won't take me into consideration in the arts field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rri14)
    how about becoming a legal assistant or paralegal until you figure out what to do. WIth a 1st class In law it will be easy to get.*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.