The Student Room Group

Make sure you check your balls/breasts.

Hi. I have told my 19 year old son since he was about 14 or 15 to check his testicles on a regular basis for any lumps or anything that feels a bit unusual. He has been very sensible and has indeed checked himself regularly. A few weeks ago while checking himself he felt a lump in one of his testicles. He made an appointment to see his GP. The GP examined him and also felt the same lump. He was referred to the local hospital for an ultrasound scan. We had to wait two weeks for the results to come back but when I telephoned the clinic about an hour ago they said the results said, "No further action is required". So thank God for that. Incidentally he has not been able to feel the lump for the last few weeks , so we've no idea what it could have been. But his GP felt the same lump too so there was definately something there initially. Anyway, just a message to peeps out there. Don't think you don't have to start checking yourself until you are in your forties. Start doing it now , and do it regularly. Please.
Original post by markova21
Hi. I have told my 19 year old son since he was about 14 or 15 to check his testicles on a regular basis for any lumps or anything that feels a bit unusual. He has been very sensible and has indeed checked himself regularly. A few weeks ago while checking himself he felt a lump in one of his testicles. He made an appointment to see his GP. The GP examined him and also felt the same lump. He was referred to the local hospital for an ultrasound scan. We had to wait two weeks for the results to come back but when I telephoned the clinic about an hour ago they said the results said, "No further action is required". So thank God for that. Incidentally he has not been able to feel the lump for the last few weeks , so we've no idea what it could have been. But his GP felt the same lump too so there was definately something there initially. Anyway, just a message to peeps out there. Don't think you don't have to start checking yourself until you are in your forties. Start doing it now , and do it regularly. Please.

Very great post! I had a recent discussion with some friends, male and female, who didn't believe in checking themselves until they were well into their 30s or 40s and I explained to them all how important it is to do so, even just once a month. It's so little effort for such an important thing - everyone should be doing it! I'm glad your son got the all clear!
Felt a lump about a year ago in my left nut, **** myself, got it checked three times, was nothing :cool:

Original post by chelseadagg3r
Very great post! I had a recent discussion with some friends, male and female, who didn't believe in checking themselves until they were well into their 30s or 40s and I explained to them all how important it is to do so, even just once a month. It's so little effort for such an important thing - everyone should be doing it! I'm glad your son got the all clear!

Testicular cancer affects younger men more as well.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cancer-of-the-testicle/pages/introduction.aspx

Cancer of the testicle is one of the less common cancers and tends to mostly affect men between 15 and 49 years of age.
Overwhelmingly agree. Really glad everything turned out okay.
I found a lump in my breast recently and got myself up to the doctors the same day. It's likely nothing, he wants a checkup after my period, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Original post by PandaCalavera
I found a lump in my breast recently and got myself up to the doctors the same day. It's likely nothing, he wants a checkup after my period, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Fair play. It took me about three weeks to even speak to someone about it.

Everything will be fine I'm sure.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Fair play. It took me about three weeks to even speak to someone about it.

Everything will be fine I'm sure.

I have a lot of health-anxiety, basically I assume the worst immediately so I'm very familiar with my GP haha.
I'm only 20 years old, so likely isn't anything sinister! Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by PandaCalavera

Hope everything goes well with your check up.x
Original post by markova21
Hope everything goes well with your check up.x

Thank you n__n
Yeah I felt something down there and got it scanned, it was epidydimitis or something. Went away after a time.
I'll check the breasts
(heh, giggity)
I had a lump on my balls which turned out to be nothing, after seeing gp twice to check them physically(hurt a bit and was embarrassing) but it was better safe than sorry!! Don’t understand why people diagnose themselves prior to seeing a gp at all

Quick Reply

Latest