Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who has finished or is doing A Level Ancient History? If so, what is the course like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkysdream)
    Is there anyone who has finished or is doing A Level Ancient History? If so, what is the course like?
    I did History A2 but my older sister did Ancient History (OCR) and loved it. I think it involved a study of Greek (i.e Sparta in the Greek world) and Roman history from 6th century BC - 4thC A.D. It was something I wish I had chosen to study instead of Nazi Germany and the Cold War. If you have some knowledge of classical world or just love history you'll enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do it! I had to take modern world history, which is still extemely interesting, but to be honest, not what I wanted. I am so interested in the vikings, celts, etc... I love ancient civilisation, take the opportunity to study it if you can. Its one of those things you need to be interested in though.

ReputationRep:
    I am definitely really interesterd in doing it, I am just worried that I don't know much about it.

ReputationRep:
    Even more reason to study it! I don't think it matters that much if you don't know who the third Egytpian Dynasty was, or what the river Rubicum's role in the Roman Empire was, its all random stuff like this that you will love learning! Go, enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkysdream)
    I am definitely really interesterd in doing it, I am just worried that I don't know much about it.
    It doesn't require any prior knowledge, but if you've studied History before (for example GCSE level) or know a little about the classical world then it's definitely an advantage. However, a general love/interest for history, in particular the ancinet world is all that is required as well as the will to learn and read around your subject. Go for it if you're really interested! I'm pretty sure it's more interesting compared to Stalins Russia/Nazi Germany & the cold war.

The Sixth form im going to currently does not do Ancient History,though when I reach the A2 Year they are going to introduce it at As level so I might take it then.

ReputationRep:
    oh go for it - if I had the option of studying Ancient History I would much rather have done that than studied A2 modern history - i spent the whole of autumn/xmas term learning about the different type of muskets and their ranges :/ yuck!! I did take Archaeology though and that was reeeaalllyy interesting!

ReputationRep:
    I am definitely going to take it. Does anyone know of any good books that would give me a better knowledge of ancient history (this course will be studying the Greeks) so I don't feel like a total idiot when I start in September?!

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.