Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So for my summer task I got the question "evaluate the view that natural resources are more of a 'curse' than a 'blessing' for their people and the environment (24)
    I'm pretty unsure as to how I should layout the question and what I should include. Help!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    So it's talking about natural disasters maybe as a point? That's more of a curse than a blessing
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I guess using wood is more of a curse (global warming)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukemnukem)
    So for my summer task I got the question "evaluate the view that natural resources are more of a 'curse' than a 'blessing' for their people and the environment (24)
    I'm pretty unsure as to how I should layout the question and what I should include. Help!
    My guess would be that the question is referring to resources such as wood, coal, oil, natural gas, minerals, metals, water and so on, and that you basically need to write about the advantages and disadvantages/problems of each. For example:

Fossil fuels (i.e. coal, oil and natural gas)

Advantages/'blessing':
    • Fossil fuels are all sources of energy, which is needed for use in transport, industry, and homes (domestic use), e.g. more than 70% of the UK's energy is produced using oil and gas, and fossil fuels are responsible for 85% of total energy production worldwide.
    • Petroleum (natural gas, crude oil and asphalt) are also used in the petrochemical industry, in the production of plastics, paints, synthetic fibres, rubber, pharmaceuticals and fertilisers.
    Disadvantages/'curse'
    • Fossil fuels are non-renewable resources (i.e. when reserves run out, they cannot be replaced in the foreseeable future).
    • Reserves are unevenly distributed - some countries such as Saudi Arabia, China, Australia, the UK and USA are able to produce lots of energy because they have large fuel reserves and the money and technology required to exploit them. Other countries such as Sudan and Ireland are unable to produce much energy due to factors such as political instability, lack of money and few recoverable resources.
    • The recovery and transport of fossil fuels have many environmental impacts, including oil and gas blowouts and fires, oil spills, atmospheric pollution, water pollution and surface subsidence.
    Minerals and metals

Advantages/'blessing'
    • Minerals and metals have a variety of uses, particularly in manufacturing and construction. As technology is developing, more scarce metals are being used in the manufacture of products like flat screen TVs. Metals are pretty much essential to modern life.
    Disadvantages/'curse'
    • Metallic minerals are non-renewable resources, and reserves are being used up very quickly. Mining on a global scale is becoming unsustainable, as the geological processes which concentrate these metals into recoverable reserved take millions of years.
    • Environmental problems of open-cast mining - deforestation and removal of vegetation, noise and dust, visual, atmospheric and water pollution.
    • Environmental problems of underground mining - surface subsidence, pollution of surface water and groundwater, smelting of ores is a major source of atmospheric pollution.
    Wood

Advantages/'blessing'
    • Wood provides a renewable source of energy, and is normally used domestically.
    Disadvantages/'curse'
    • Most fuel wood gathering isn't regulated and can seriously deplete local woodland, leading to deforestation.
    • Soil erosion - the roots of trees and other vegetation help to bind soil together, and if they are removed the soil can be washed or blown away more easily.
    I hope that helps! I'm not sure if this is exactly what the answer requires, but it's the best I can come up with!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! Many thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukemnukem)
    Awesome! Many thanks for the help
    No problem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.